UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 18 Sep 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Taxi Help - London

I have a friend of 80 who is fit and fairly streetwise. In December she arrives on a train from Scotland at Euston and needs to get to Waterloo Station for another train. She'll have a suitcase

What's the best way to do this? She has a phone, but not a smartphone and doesn't use apps. She doesn't fancy the underground.

I've suggested Addison Lee who we've used before, but via their app, and she is worried about pre-booking in case her inbound train is late.

Is she just best to get an ordinary black cab? Is this likely to be costly? It will be a weekday late afternoon.

What would London Dibbers advise?
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

The easiest way would be to just get on the Northern (black) line on the underground. She would need to take the southbound train (Charing cross branch) and it’s only about 7 stops. A taxi would be very expensive, and could take a while if the traffic is bad.
If she definitely wants a taxi, there should be a taxi rank outside the station (take a black cab).
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

If your friend doesn’t use a smartphone/apps, doesn’t want to pre-book a car service and doesn’t want to use the tube, the only viable option sounds like a black cab.
As said above, the journey could be expensive and possibly grid locked (taking place in rush hour?) through the West End.

A thought; towards the end of her journey to Euston, she will know how her arrival time has been affected by any delays etc.
Could she then ring someone at home who could book the Addison Lee car via the app for her?

Edited at 11:26 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 04:01 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Addison Lee are very professional , just like if you book them to pick you up at the airport they check your plane is on time , I’m sure they can do the same with collecting a customer off a train.
Why not ask them.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Last month I booked a Add Lee to LHR and when coming home, knowing my flight etc may be delayed, jumped into a black cab home. 1730 on a Tuesday evening LHR to Clapham so going into busy commuter areas and Add lee at 0600 so quiet time. Was expecting a huge black cab fare but it was less than £10 more and saved he stress of being late - add less only wait 15 mins or charge more. I was very pleasantly surprised indeed. I would say getting into london rail terminus jump into a waiting black cab (esp within 80, have luggage and not really know how LU works)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List