Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 26 Aug 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Is this still available? I have looked everywhere for it in the last few months and the assistant in Tesco told me it was discontinued , I was hoping not.
I get mine from ASDA or Schwartz themselves. Usually buy a few packets. They also do a Pulled Chicken one.
Old 26 Aug 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

Pork shoulder in the slow cooker with enough bottles of Sweet Baby Rays with Honey BBQ sauce to cover it. High for 4 hours, the skim fat and turn meet, then on low for 3 hours, then shred and another 30 mins. I've also used Stubbs BBQ sauce when the huge bottles are in stock in Costco. You can do the same with chicken breasts but not as long of course
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 21, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
amberspy
Imagineer

Thanks guys
Can’t wait to make tomorrow
I take leave in slow cooker all day
amberspy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

its not pulled pork, its pulled beef shorrib, but i thoroughly recommend it!

they can be cooked in a large deep baking pan, covered in foil. a nice big old pork butt would work similarly well. a large dutch oven works too, but trays let you get more then 4 shortribs in per batch!

a ragu base of tomatoes, dried (and rehydrated) mushrooms, anchovies, onion, garlic, etc are made in a pan, and the poured into the bottom of the oven dish, and the shortribs/butt placed on top)

in the case of the shorribs, they are then cooked covered in foil for 1hr, then turn them bone side down so the meat chunks are submerged, and then uncovered for 60-75 mins

pull all the meat off the bone and shred, then pour the sauce back onto the meat and combine. leave to combine and then portion off, or reheat and serve.

heres the recipe. they used boneless shortribs, but i use bone-in, but it could easily be adapted to pork butt too. you could add different flavourings too to make it more bbq/cajun/italian/spicy/whatever, but i urge you to keep the anchovies in, they really make a difference to the finished flavour, and unless you see them going in the pot, you would never know they were there!

(i hate anchovies normally, but this recipe changed my mind)

Edited at 03:10 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
its not pulled pork, its pulled beef shorrib, but i thoroughly recommend it!

they can be cooked in a large deep baking pan, covered in foil. a nice big old pork butt would work similarly well. a large dutch oven works too, but trays let you get more then 4 shortribs in per batch!

a ragu base of tomatoes, dried (and rehydrated) mushrooms, anchovies, onion, garlic, etc are made in a pan, and the poured into the bottom of the oven dish, and the shortribs/butt placed on top)

in the case of the shorribs, they are then cooked covered in foil for 1hr, then turn them bone side down so the meat chunks are submerged, and then uncovered for 60-75 mins

pull all the meat off the bone and shred, then pour the sauce back onto the meat and combine. leave to combine and then portion off, or reheat and serve.

heres the recipe. they used boneless shortribs, but i use bone-in, but it could easily be adapted to pork butt too. you could add different flavourings too to make it more bbq/cajun/italian/spicy/whatever, but i urge you to keep the anchovies in, they really make a difference to the finished flavour, and unless you see them going in the pot, you would never know they were there!

(i hate anchovies normally, but this recipe changed my mind)

That looks gorgeous Wanye
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 21, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
That looks gorgeous Wanye
so good, i plan on selling a version of it at some point soon

Edited at 08:08 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I used to use a slow cooker until I bought an instant pot.
Cut into chunks and sear then add a small amount of stock with a packet of bbq seasoning, Worcester sauce and a splash of white wine vinegar and cook for an hour. It’s fantastic. Falls apart.
I haven’t a garden so don’t have a bbq or smoker.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List