Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jun 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile Book Folding

I’ve decided I need a new hobby, and thought it’d be nice to (eventually) make one of these designs:

Obviously I’ll have to start off with something simple.
Are there any book folders among you out there? How long does it take to complete a pattern on average?
Also are Patterns graded according to levels of difficulty?
I’m just at the stage of watching YouTube tutorials on how to get started, but no one has mentioned difficulty levels.
Look forward to your replies!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

WoW! they are gorgeous! Good luck with your new hobby - can't wait to see how yours turn out
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Way to early I know but try Christmas trees they are relatively easy
and buy cheap second hand books in charity shops etc
It’s actually very therapeutic when you get in the swing of it
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you - it’ll be trial & error I think! I’ve got an old hardback book with a beautiful red cover (the book given to me on leaving primary school in 1983!) which I thought would be perfect for a Disney one! Can’t wait to get started - I’m going to a local charity shop at the weekend to get an old hardback book to practice on.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

You can practice on paperback books you just have to rip the cover off
Now I’m not saying rip books up but an old paperback that might have a few loose pages a great way to repurpose them old Christmas Hymnals make great Christmas trees
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
You can practice on paperback books you just have to rip the cover off
Now I’m not saying rip books up but an old paperback that might have a few loose pages a great way to repurpose them old Christmas Hymnals make great Christmas trees
Great idea, thank you. I’ve got a bookcase full of paper-backs to choose from!
Old 16 Jun 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Be aware it can become addictive
I’ve done a few children’s books and mounted and framed them as baby gifts Beatrix Potter Windings the willows etc and given the books to be read as they grow the folded books are always old barely readable ones
Gd13 still has her Thewell pony one and the books in her room
Old 16 Jun 20, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

We did it with old Readers Digests, did the Christmas tree ones as Christmas cards a couple of years ago.
Old 17 Jun 20, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

My mum made me one with the Disney logo on a few years ago, she said the hardest part was finding an old hardback book with the correct number of pages!
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by StorybookCircus View Post
My mum made me one with the Disney logo on a few years ago, she said the hardest part was finding an old hardback book with the correct number of pages!
This is what I’ve been thinking, although one video did say if you have a book with too many pages you have the option of (tidily) removing some, or a margin of ’x’ pages either side of the artwork.
Obviously i’d love to do Disney ones, but also on the lookout for a Coraline face pattern (DD age 11 has read the book & is obsessed with the film!), i’d love to surprise her on her birthday with this!