Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 17 Jul 21, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Paella

Help has anyone got a good recipe I’ve temporarily mislaid mine so it might be gumbo or some other kind of Cajun fish chicken sausage concoction tomorrow
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i was going to make some myself last week (for the first time) but instead ended up making risotto (and serving with a lobster tail poached in butter/old bay in the sous vide bath)

anyway, i'll probably be trying it sometime this week, and i'll be using this recipe as a guide (its shown on s6e17 of americas test kitchen from 2006)

theculinarychronicles/20...trated-paella/

theres also this bbq version, which im sure you could easily adapt to the stovetop

hth

*update*
i'm making it tonight! ill post results later...

Edited at 05:09 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

NAILED IT!

I used frozen, tail on shrimp - there were 2* 11-15 sized shrimp each (largest costco do) and a bunch of normal sized ones (31-40?) plus a couple of scallops each

theres also a sliced bratwurst (pre-cooked. leftovers from a BBQ a while back i sliced and froze) , some tandoori chicken breast chunks (again, was lying around in the freezer), and some crispy chorizo slices, and some roasted cheery tomato halves and red pepper strips.

(this is the rice/meat/tomato mix before adding stock)

i used a cup and a half of paella rice, and 875ml of stock (1:2.25 ratio of rice to liquid)- it was a couple of ham stock cubes, boiling water, and the tomato juice i strained off the pack of chopped tomatoes that went in the pan earlier

once (hot) stock was added, it went in a 180c oven for 15 minutes, until most of the water was absorbed, and then add the seafood on top, and back in the oven for another 10 minutes, take it out, and leave with the lid on for a further 5 mins

i mostly followed the ATK season 6 episode recipe i linked earlier. its was lovely. the only thing missing was the crispy bottom of the pan bits you get from a traditional paella pan (i used a dutch oven)

Edited at 04:49 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Looks great
I made gumbo which we had with sourdough bread and Cajun potatoe wedges
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

jambalaya is probably the next one i'll be making. did it once before, it was *ok*, hopefully this time it will be as good as the paella. its mostly the same sort of recipe, just with different seasonings/rice type and, so will hopefully be easily adapted
Old 21 Jul 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Jambalaya is easy to make Ive had it with all sorts in it even gator which I didn’t know till I finished it and loved it
It’s an other of those dishes I make when I’ve got odds and sods in the freezer fridge and cupboards that need used
I use my Dutch Oven for it and in the Instant Pot