Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Aug 16, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Tampa, Clearwater or Siesta Key

I posted on here a week or so ago about Miami hotels, but luckily have managed to change flights to Tampa, meaning we can do all the things that we want in the area before heading to Orlando.

We've stayed at Siesta Key before (honeymoon) as a two centre, but we have two kids now - baby and toddler, so less likely to be relaxing.

We land at 17:45 on 24th November and go to Orlando on 28th, so have to find somewhere to stay for 4 days.

On those days we plan on doing BG definitely and the beach definitely. Then some shorter, half day things like Dinosaur World (DS1 obsessed with Dinosaurs), maybe the Lowry Park Zoo, Aquarium and/or Glazer Children's Museum.

Wondering where to stay. There's the option of staying in Tampa, as those activitiesa are all focused around Tampa. Or staying at the beach near Clearwater, or another beach area (don't know any others around there), or sticking with what we know and going back to Siesta Key (but then having over 2 hour drive up to Orlando)

Few essential criteria (one of which might seem strange to some!) - need a 2 bed suite (don't mind paying premium for this) as our kids are a nightmare for waking each other and baby sleeps badly at the best of times ) and the next one is I don't want to be crossing any horrific bridges over water. I have a really bad bridge (over water) phobia and there are a lot around there that set me off crying just looking at photos.

Sunshine Skyway and Howard Frankland bridge are definite no's. Causeways are not so bad. We avoided them with Siesta Key by not going past St.Petes.

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Was going to suggest some of the beach areas along the Clearwater to St Petes beach stretch; however, all involve bridges over water whether it be those you mention (Sunshine Skyway & Howard Frankland) or Gulf to Bay into Clearwater or Pinellas Bayway (was a causeway; now quite a big bridge) into St Petes.

If going to Siesta Key out of Tampa airport, you'd normally head south on the 275 & take Howard Frankland & Sunshine Skyway; if wanting to avoid those, you'd need to go in the complete opposite direction (north on 275) to get onto the I4 to get onto I75; quite a diversion.

No advice re staying in Tampa; it's a city so maybe not ideal for a 4 day stay.

Have a look at the coast further north; New Port Richey & above?
Don't know but you may be able to get there from Tampa without crossing a bay?

Edited at 10:11 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Was going to suggest some of the beach areas along the Clearwater to St Petes beach stretch; however, all involve bridges over water whether it be those you mention (Sunshine Skyway & Howard Frankland) or Gulf to Bay into Clearwater or Pinellas Bayway (was a causeway; now quite a big bridge) into St Petes.

If going to Siesta Key out of Tampa airport, you'd normally head south on the 275 & take Howard Frankland & Sunshine Skyway; if wanting to avoid those, you'd need to go in the complete opposite direction (north on 275) to get onto the I4 to get onto I75; quite a diversion.

No advice re staying in Tampa; it's a city so maybe not ideal for a 4 day stay.

Have a look at the coast further north; New Port Richey & above?
Don't know but you may be able to get there from Tampa without crossing a bay?
Thank you so much for this. With Siesta Key I think we headed towards Brandon. 1hr 55 instead of 1 hr 38 on google maps, so happy to do that.
Definitely open to looking at coast further north, but not familiar with any of the areas. Will look at New Port Richey though.

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 16, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Mobile

If its this year you're going I think 24th November is Thanksgiving so hotels could be busy. All that holiday weekend is peak season - and peak prices!
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 16, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread