Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Jun 18, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
nicandben
I want to go now!

Double Stroller

Hi guys

We are going to Florida in 44 days and will be taking a double stroller for our four and one year old sons. Last time we went we only had one son and just took a regular stroller. We bought a travel bag for this and handed it over when we checked in with the oversized baggage, car seat etc, the thought behind this being he could run around in the airport and tire himself out a bit and would also be less to worry about in the departure lounge. I'm just wondering what to do about the double stroller. Travel bags for these are around £40 and it seems silly to spend this when we'll probably only use it once. Do many people take their strollers down to the gate? How does this work? Who thinks its best to ditch it at oversized baggage? If so have you bought a travel bag or did u just leave it as it is?

Thanks for your help!
nicandben is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWfangirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

WDWfangirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 12
I'd take it up to the gate personally and then secure all the flappy bits with a bungee cord to protect it. At least that way it will only do one conveyor belt.
WDWfangirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jadebe
Excited about Disney

We took 2 car seats and a double buggy for our twin granddaughters. Checked in car seats in bags (with ISOfix bases!), but buggy just folded up and they took it from us at the gate. Nothing got damaged apart from a small hole in one car seat bag.
Jadebe is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Allyismad
Trying for More Ears

I've always taken my daughter's pram to the gate and folded it down. Used an elastic cord which had been stitched to make a band and put that around the handle/hood/wheeled and collected it the other end.

This year we are taking her mobility pram (maclaren major elite) with us. Again will take it to the gate but will put footplate in my luggge (as this comes off for it to fold down).
Allyismad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

we took a baby jogger gt with us for 6 and nearly 3 year old but had bought the travel bag. we took it to the gate it took only a min or so to fold and pack and hand over. no damage and out straight away to help control the kids at the other end. - depends on what you take in my experience you will still be able to sell the bag for the same price when you get back if it doesn't get damaged in transit. - mine never did!
skstorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Wishes2013
Excited about Disney

Mobile

How about hiring a double stroller when you arrive. We are thinking of doing this and when I looked into it the hire prices weren't too bad. One less thing to get through the airport.
Wishes2013 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 04:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Mobile

Invaluable to have at airport. Always take to gate.

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

We are taking 9 month twins with 3 adults. Have decided on two single lightweight pushchairs instead of one heavy one. Going to make two bags with handles from scrap material. No cost. We can put over shoulders and have arms free to get babies and suitcases up escalator avoiding second bag drop. That's the plan anyway. Will do anything to avoid second bag drop. If it's raining can take ages to get suitcases back again.
We took my mothers wheelchair one year and came off the plane with one armrest ripped. We spent the whole holiday with Virgin tape round it and had to claim on return.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

We always take our double baby jogger to gate and have a bag. We also put some other things in the bag - raincover, drinks holder, parent console and raincoats. The stuff we usually keep on the stroller. I'm not going to lie getting a double in that bag at boarding is an absolute pain and in Orlando they made us carry it in the bag to the plane door... which doesn't sound too bad aside from imagine carrying a double pram in a bag down that walkway when theres only two adults two toddlers and all the hand luggage. Stress! Luckily someone took pity on us and helped but it caused a right kerfuffle. Usually you just hand it in at the desk before tunnel.
But all that said I don't think I'd do airport without it to gate although we are contemplating hiring next year when kids will be nearly 3&5. They damaged it last time but have paid out for a new part so it's ok but that said that happens regardless of when you hand it in.

I'm not sure I'm helping answer your question actually! 😂

Edited at 10:49 AM.
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
fiffio
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ll have a double buggy this year as invaluable at the airport. Does anyone know what happens with virgin? Leave at gate and get back as you come off the plane or collect at same time as hold luggage?
fiffio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List