Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

View Poll Results: Do you hire a car when staying on site at WDW?
Yes - for the whole duration of the holiday 126 63.00%
Yes - only for part of the holiday 31 15.50%
No 43 21.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Jun 18, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
catalunya
Excited about Disney

Our first two trips we hired a car - we travelled to all the usual places - KSC etc
This December we will not be - we dont plan on going very far and when we do want to go outside Disney we will be using Uber
POR - May 2015 | DLP Newport Bay - Nov 2016 | SSR - May 2017 | Surprise BC upgrade! - Dec 2018 | ASM & SFR - Nov 2021 | PFB & CBR - Sept 2022 | POP & DCL Magic - June 2023 | PFB - Sept 2023 | DCL Dream - Dec 2023 | Universal - May 2024
catalunya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Our first trip was one night offsite then 13 at OKW and we hired a Mustang for that. I love driving generally, and really enjoyed driving around WDW and up to the Amway Center.

This time we're staying at the Poly for two weeks, like OP and the car (convertible again) was a must. Since we've got an extra passenger and storage is 'limited' then we're getting the Magical Express and heading to the DCC the next day. Not sure if we'll need the car quite as much being on the monorail loop but I wouldn't want to be without the convenience (or the fun aspect) of having the car there whenever we want it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

The only time it is worth enduring the buses is to avoid the TTC getting to and from MK. But I would think twice if intending to leave after closing fireworks/shows as the buses are rammed and claustrophobic.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I'm going on a solo trip in September and can't drive for health reasons so it's a no for me. The only times I'll be off site will be Discovery Cove and Universal/Islands of Adventure and will use Uber for those. I won't be going to shopping malls or supermarkets.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
The only time it is worth enduring the buses is to avoid the TTC getting to and from MK. But I would think twice if intending to leave after closing fireworks/shows as the buses are rammed and claustrophobic.
Like how busy are the busses. I know that previously with a car we have had to queue, often from before the ramp to the monorail and waited a while there, plus then another queue for the right car park area (one time we tried to walk it, got lost and took ages!)
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

Also, what times do the buses start from?
We like to get to parks at opening, so if it opens at 8am we would like to be there around then.
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve only stayed onsite once, at SSR, and found the buses slow, crowded and irregular. We really missed having the car and went and got one. Also don’t generally drink during the day. Once kids are older, particularly if we were onsite near Epcot, we’d probably have car for part of the stay.

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

Going to try and answer a few of the PP in one go.

These are all based on my experiences, other opinions wil certainly differ.

The buses get very busy at amd around park close, also post fireworks. You might not get in the first bus that comes and when you do get on one yoj have a 50/50 chance of standing. Outside of that park close window they arent crowded and you will get a seat. The lines for the monorail and ferry at park close are no better and no worse than the crowds for the buses.

The bus service quality is the reverse of what yoh would expect. The buses for Pop for example are very regular and never share. Beach club buses were all over the place schedule wise and share with yacht club. Wilderness lodge was terrible too and they share with either the campground or the contemporary.

The exception seems to be AKL where the buses were fab when we stayed

The buses start well before park opening. We rope drop multiple times each trip and have never had a problem getting a bus. We got one at 6.45am this trip for an 8am opening at MK. Got a bus at a similatlr time for an 8am AK opening

Nothing beats a car for convenience though apart from MK. Buses are very doable though

Edited at 03:26 PM.
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We always have In the past but this year we booked it for 2 weeks and had 2 days at the start and 3 days at the end without a car.

I wouldn’t be happy without s car for the whole trip as we like to go Off site and it gives us more flexibility with restaurants but we were ok for the few days without it. And I liked using the Magical Express and collecting the hire car onsite. It seemed less hassle than at the airport.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

You can book Uber with a car seat , if you'd only be off site for a few days then you could book a few days carhire mid stay and make those your off site days or if you want to space them more use Uber and spend the money you'd save on shopping or fun things either way.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List