Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Sep 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Annie10189
Helping Minnie

How to find a magistrate/Justice of the Peace?

Hi all,

I've got myself in a bit of a pickle. I drove through London one evening not knowing congestion charge had been extended to nights.

Moved house twice during lockdown (re-registered with DVLA both times).

A debt collection letter landed in my letterbox yesterday advising I hadn't paid my PCN and I owed £300+ and default would be on my credit record.

I've done a whole load of research and because I did update DVLA with change of addresses but admin back log meant they kept missing me, I can make a 'Statutory Declaration' to be given the opportunity to pay the original PCN. I need to swear an oath in front of:

- A Commissioner for Oaths
- A Justice of the Peace
- An officer of your local county court

I have searched and searched the internet and can not work out who is in these rolls and how I contact them.

Can anyone help?
Annie10189 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Solicitors are Commissioner for Oaths. That is your best bet.
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Any local solicitor should be able to do it for you. Ring a couple to find out how much.

When I had to do a declaration quotes varied from £48 to a fiver. That was just to witness paperwork that was already done.

Edited at 08:32 PM.
sotagals is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

I didn’t pay a penny, just phoned the court, turned up at the agreed time, swore to the judge I was an angel and that was it
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
Any local solicitor should be able to do it for you. Ring a couple to find out how much.

When I had to do a declaration quotes varied from £48 to a fiver. That was just to witness paperwork that was already done.
Yikes. I’m a Commissioner for Oaths and never charge for someone swearing their own document.
Old 2 Sep 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My daughter paid £5 last month when she had to swearing a document in front of a solicitor.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Technically the fee is £5 plus a price per exhibit (think £2 but it is a while since I had exhibits).

Most but not all solicitors will charge that. Problem as the moment is getting an appointment to visit.

We are not allowing clients to visit at the moment but high street solicitors who deal with the public may be different.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 01:32 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Phone your local court centre - they should have someone who can do it for you. Alternatively, do you have any friends of friends who are solicitors ? It doesn’t have to be done in an office, just a registered solicitor
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Annie10189
Helping Minnie

Thanks so much everyone! Got a local solicitor for a fiver. Happy days

Thanks for all your input!
Annie10189 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Brilliant news
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List