Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 31 Oct 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
MarBell
slightly serious Dibber

TV Licence

Hi Dibbers, just paid for mine, seems a lot of money now. What does anyone else think? Time to scrap it in my humble opinion.
MarBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
- watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
- watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
- download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

I don't have a TV aerial and cancelled Sky, I never use iPlayer and dont stream 'live' on air programs any other way. So mines cancelled.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i rarely watch live tv (only connect and covid announcements being the only two things ive watched in the last few months), but i am happy to pay for it because i believe the bbc offers things that you would never get if it was supported by advertising.

plus it's worth it for bbc 6music alone. bbc4 and some of the more niche programming are a bonus, and then theres iplayer. a world class streaming app. FOR FREE!

if we didnt have the bbc, TV and radio would be a race to the bottom, filled with love island and other cheap reality junk. just look how awful 90% of tv is in the US, and thats not even taking the constant barrage of ads into account

yes, the bbc has its faults, but on the whole, its worth saving, we just need to protect it from the current government, who want to flog it off bit by bit until everything that made it great is gone (see also, the NHS), and rupert murdoch can further his grip on the media.

if they hadntve been stomped on by OFCOM and the competition commission, project kangaroo could have easily rivalled netflix for content, and in theory, worldwide subscriptions would have increased revenue and made the need for the licence fee a thing of the past...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

worth it for bbc natural history & childrens output alone imo

more ads - more 'popular' ad driven drivel

think itv saturday night... celebrity barge holiday mishaps
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

We think the licence fee is acceptable. Cancelled Sky 12 years ago, Freeview, iplayer, catch up and free streaming offers plenty to watch. We see no reason to lash out circa £70+ a month for Sky/Cable vs the £13 a month license fee.
Old 3 Nov 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Makes me laugh when people won't pay for a TV licence saying its too much but are willing to pay over £80 a month for Sky...

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Makes me laugh when people won't pay for a TV licence saying its too much but are willing to pay over £80 a month for Sky...
i was amazed to learn a colleague pays £117 a month to sky

incl broadband/phone/sky q + a mini box etc but my god
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
i was amazed to learn a colleague pays £117 a month to sky

incl broadband/phone/sky q + a mini box etc but my god
I cant remember exactly what our sky bill is now but we canned the TV bit and rely purely on on demand services so have no movies or sport etc
Old 3 Nov 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Everyone different dose not matter if someone pays over 100 pound it is up to them if they injoy what they get what surprise me is that anyone will watch the garbage which is on Netflix 😂

And before anyone says anything

I am joking about Netflix as I know a few people that I joy what’s on it. Personally we got Sky tv and sport a extra box catch up tv box sets we all so have Disney+ and Amerzon 😆
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Forty Three pence a day. Absolute bargain for the output. News, documentaries, sporting events, kids programs, radio stations, websites, streaming services. The BBC has its critics, especially for its news, but i think we forget the amount of quality programming it puts out
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List