Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 14 Nov 20, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I've done the dried fruit and marzipan bits, cake is in the oven and the house is smelling devine right now I've also made sure I have icing sugar ready as I couldn't get it at all earlier this year

Pretzels, nuts, shortbread tins, sage & onion, gravy, bread sauce mix, Heroes, mincemeat and pickled onions.

I've always started buying bits early as it spreads the cost and means by Christmas week I just need to focus on fresh veg and dairy.

My list splits out into Christmas Dinner stuff, snacky stuff both sweet & savoury, treats and luxuries, booze, and then perpherals like cling film, Greaseproof, napkins etc. Challenge is not to start dipping in early!

Work has always been manic in December, so I've always tried to be ready by end of Nov to take the pressure off and actually enjoy the prep.
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Poppycat View Post
I've done the dried fruit and marzipan bits, cake is in the oven and the house is smelling devine right now I've also made sure I have icing sugar ready as I couldn't get it at all earlier this year

Pretzels, nuts, shortbread tins, sage & onion, gravy, bread sauce mix, Heroes, mincemeat and pickled onions.

I've always started buying bits early as it spreads the cost and means by Christmas week I just need to focus on fresh veg and dairy.

My list splits out into Christmas Dinner stuff, snacky stuff both sweet & savoury, treats and luxuries, booze, and then perpherals like cling film, Greaseproof, napkins etc. Challenge is not to start dipping in early!

Work has always been manic in December, so I've always tried to be ready by end of Nov to take the pressure off and actually enjoy the prep.
I’m struggling to get royal icing sugar , lots of regular around and fondant but I’ve only ever user royal on my cake
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
I’m struggling to get royal icing sugar , lots of regular around and fondant but I’ve only ever user royal on my cake
Haven't been able to find any royal icing sugar since may though I did find some tubs of ready mixed royal icing in tesco last month.
You can make your own using regular icing sugar & egg whites(there are recipes using dried egg white if you can't eat raw egg whites)some add liquid glucose too but it is more work
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I use meringue powder instead of egg. Luckily shop at end of my road sells cake decorating stuff.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by mandco View Post
Haven't been able to find any royal icing sugar since may though I did find some tubs of ready mixed royal icing in tesco last month.
You can make your own using regular icing sugar & egg whites(there are recipes using dried egg white if you can't eat raw egg whites)some add liquid glucose too but it is more work
I didn't get on with royal icing sugar, always stays too soft so must be doing something wrong. I use a really old Whitworths recipe book inherited from my Grandmother and make it. 8 inch cake - 1lb sieved icing sugar, 2 egg whites, 1tsp lemon juice plus a few optional drops of glycerine. No metric 😀

Edited at 09:32 PM.
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
linnite
Imagineer

I got to be my age minus 2 years without ever trying panettone and then a piece nicely buttered was put into my hand in one of our offices, now panettone is a fixture.

Nice long use by date too e.g. June 2021.

Nov '01 - I-Drive ... May '09 - DL Paris ... Aug '11 - Pop ... Aug '13 - SSR ... Aug '15 - A/S Music + HRH ... Aug '17 - RPR,CBR,AKL ... Feb '18 - Cabana Bay ... Feb '19 - Aventura + A/S Sports ... Dec '21 Dolphin and HRH... Aug '23 Surfside and A/S Music... Feb '24 Surfside
linnite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I have a Xmas cupboard and fill it gradually ..
biscuits for cheese, home bake rolls , Pringles, hot chocolate and mini marshmallows, after eights , jelly and custard for trifle ,tubs of chocs ( they are in the garage ) box of foxes biscuits , several bags of nuts , cranberry sauce , kettle and sensations crisps, stuffing,2 sorts of gravy, brandy snap baskets which I use as a base for ice cream .Got some mini Xmas puds when they were reduced in January as only me and hubby eat them.. I have started with fridge so have cheese box filling up .. extra butter and squirty cream and will get anything that will be a good date .
Freezer has turkey crown and a few frozen desserts and some party food ..
Would advise anyone this year especially to get what they want as early as they can . Our store now have pickers for home delivery which we didn’t have before so all those orders are creating gaps are and non availability of certain products. I’m really hope they sort the issue out.
A heads up for products that we tend to run out at Christmas are strawberry and raspberry jelly, Swiss roll , birds eye brandy sauce and brandy butter ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Sounds like a lot of faff for a day 😀
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Sounds like a lot of faff for a day 😀
Yep... but... we used to "do" a Christmas week or even a fortnight when dh and I were both civil service with young kids and all parents alive. Now the kids are grown, the parents down to 1 and I work in retail it is pretty much down to a day or two. (I prefer it, dh pines for the rosy days...)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by linnite View Post
I got to be my age minus 2 years without ever trying panettone and then a piece nicely buttered was put into my hand in one of our offices, now panettone is a fixture.

Nice long use by date too e.g. June 2021.
The panettone (green box) from Aldi is the best I’ve tasted
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List