Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Nov 20, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’ve been so lucky 30 years as a nurse enjoyed every minute even in a very senior position still got to work one to one with patients clients service users what ever you want to call them and inna field that’s not glamorous life saving community/ and care in the community for the elderly and then setting up or helping care or nursing homes to,be a home not a facility
And then have fun playing with flowers for 5 years
Can’t ever say I never wanted to go to work day or night and that’s success to me
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyHaunt13
Excited about Disney

Not really... not sure anyone grows up wanting to be an Optician!

There were three very different paths I wanted to take
1. Journalist/writer
2. Forensic psychology
3. Law
And I very briefly wanted to be a marine biologist but mum told me I wasn’t smart enough and I believed her!

I’m seriously considering giving law a go in a couple of years.. I’m just waiting for my girls to get a little older and a bit of bravery to do it
HappyHaunt13 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Always knew I wanted to be a teacher. Went to uni and qualified and taught primary for 10 years before leaving to be at home with my own children.

Once all kids were in school I got a job in the kids school office working as a receptionist and HR officer. I absolutely love it and would keep doing it forever but the pay is very poor . I'm going to trial teaching a couple of days and keeping my office job and see how that works.

Always fancied being a midwife but wasn't brave enough to go back to uni.
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

I always wanted to work in disaster relief work. I carried out a six month secondment with Oxfam and absolutely loved it, but returned to my job in a water company. I really enjoy my job but have a hankering to be a whisky distillery manager / owner.
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

When I was in school I was leaning towards nursing but my mum was determined I was going to be a secretary so she pushed me into o level business studies which I hated with a passion and as for typing I detested it.

I couldn’t get a job when I left school in 1976 and noticed a mobile army recruitment centre in the town.
I went in and had a chat with them we spoke about nursing in the army and I went away with all the information fully intending to sign up.
My mother went ballistic refused to sign anything ripped up all the forms and as I was under 18 I couldn’t do anything so that was that.
A few weeks later I found a job in a local bus depot canteen then moved from there to retail and I’ve drifted from catering/pub work to retail for all my working life.
I regret not doing what I really wanted to do but at 61 it’s too late now and I’m just treading water until I can retire in 2025
Old 18 Nov 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
When I was in school I was leaning towards nursing but my mum was determined I was going to be a secretary so she pushed me into o level business studies which I hated with a passion and as for typing I detested it.

I couldn’t get a job when I left school in 1976 and noticed a mobile army recruitment centre in the town.
I went in and had a chat with them we spoke about nursing in the army and I went away with all the information fully intending to sign up.
My mother went ballistic refused to sign anything ripped up all the forms and as I was under 18 I couldn’t do anything so that was that.
A few weeks later I found a job in a local bus depot canteen then moved from there to retail and I’ve drifted from catering/pub work to retail for all my working life.
I regret not doing what I really wanted to do but at 61 it’s too late now and I’m just treading water until I can retire in 2025
That is so sad
Old 18 Nov 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Growing up, I wanted at various times to be an air stewardess/flight attendant, one of the people who operate theme park rides, a ride designer (I blame Rollercoaster Tycoon and holidays involving theme park visits!), or a doctor...

I did become one of the above, though it turned out to be very different from what I imagined it would be like as a kid/teenager!

Edited at 04:41 PM.
sky13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
till
slightly serious Dibber

Growing up I wanted to be a librarian but ended up doing hairdressing which I hated, I now work in a covid testing centre which I wouldn't have picked but the money helps towards our holidays
till is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List