Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 15 Nov 20, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Hows everyone going?

Been a bit quiet here for a while. How are those with additional needs getting on. DD is 11 and has just started year 7 after the summer. She has anxiety so that hasnt been helped by the pandemic. She does get nervous going outside, but suppose thats to be expected. She really did miss all her friends in first lockdown so she is happy that schools carried on in this lockdown. Just trying to regain some sort of normal.
Old 15 Nov 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
zingy
VIP Dibber

zingy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have had a very hard 7 months.Routines gone to pot.Having a autistic daughter
at home all that time became totally exhausting. This resulted in both myself and daughter suffering from emotional and physical ill health.Social services input got her into new daycare a few days a week.Second lockdown has brought new issues.I just hope things will improve over the next few months.
zingy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I think all of this has multiplied problems. DD also has autistic traits, so craves routine and knowing whats coming next. She was ok about staying in as it was the rules! But she missed her friends she Used to sit and cry, it was heartbreaking. She stuck rigidly to her school timetable week in, week out, i think it was to make it more normal and safe for her.

I did get hr a good book on line called "no worries" which is a workbook with mindfulness type activities, she does a page a day which seems to help her. We had to put her back on melatonin too as she struggled with sleeping.

Edited at 12:38 AM.
Bootrip2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Its been a nightmare tbh,15 year old ds with asd still not returned to school and daily struggles to get 9 year old ds with asd into school,on top of a lot of other health issues,not fun at all.
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by nadya View Post
Its been a nightmare tbh,15 year old ds with asd still not returned to school and daily struggles to get 9 year old ds with asd into school,on top of a lot of other health issues,not fun at all.
It is just so tough for everyone to deal with, so add in their additional anxieties and worries it is terrible to deal with. DD is lucky she goes to a special school and they sem to be doing so much to help the kids all deal with everything, even the constant handwashing has been made into a game. DD wont do well if we go back to full lockdown again though. At the moment she is anxious about santa getting round. Real worry for her as she doesnt want kids to be disappointed. She had her flu jab today, which went well, school wont do hers so she had to have at GP. Another hurdle done.

Hope that your DS’s settle into school routine soon. X

Edited at 12:03 AM.
Bootrip2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by zingy View Post
We have had a very hard 7 months.Routines gone to pot.Having a autistic daughter
at home all that time became totally exhausting. This resulted in both myself and daughter suffering from emotional and physical ill health.Social services input got her into new daycare a few days a week.Second lockdown has brought new issues.I just hope things will improve over the next few months.
Ive been trying to get some respite set up, mainly in case we go back into full lockdown again. It has made me realise i need this. I think a break is so very important, the constant stress of changing routines is a nightmare. Hopefully things will get better. X
Old 19 Nov 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

staying home wasn't an issue for ds as he doesn't like going out anyway and we had already moved to home schooling but its made his anxiety about going out so much worse to the point even getting him to go in the garden can be a full blown battle
He did really struggle with the lack of routine when the others were home all day but since they went back things have improved somewhat as it creates a more obvious routine and time scale.
His sleep is awful and I do think some of it is down to the fact we don't go out much now. We're currently on day 12 of him being awake all night - our gp will not give him melatonin as they don't think his sleep pattern is bad enough to need it

Bootrip I hope you manage to get some respite sorted
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

The actual lockdown part wasn't a problem here, infact it was a relief as I had none of the usual daily battles with clothes and leaving the house, but theres been a definite change in behaviour recently especially with Xmas coming up, its been challenging to say the least some days!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

My son 22 autistic with severe anxiety and depression has been really bad, not been out since it all started, my doctor has tried to get a mental health team to talk to me, for advice but no one is available, she said because he is not on drugs caused physical harm to us or himself, she was afraid he is not a priority. It has been very draining on me and husband has bad COPD, but there is always someone worse off, so I’m trying to keep positive and I’m on my second tin of chocolates.
Old 22 Dec 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MargaretMouse View Post
My son 22 autistic with severe anxiety and depression has been really bad, not been out since it all started, my doctor has tried to get a mental health team to talk to me, for advice but no one is available, she said because he is not on drugs caused physical harm to us or himself, she was afraid he is not a priority. It has been very draining on me and husband has bad COPD, but there is always someone worse off, so I’m trying to keep positive and I’m on my second tin of chocolates.
I do think the adults with LD are all a bit lost at the moment. DS lives on his own but has refused his support since March, also he reads a lot of ‘fake news’ which doesnt help. And the wueues everywhere really stress him out! Just trying to get through the best we can. X take care. X