Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Nov 20, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

[QUOTE=buryboy;14724391]To be honest I always just assumed the offending word was just a word for a bum .
To the point where it was a few posts into this thread before I realised which word in the song was the offensive one .

But now I can see why some people would be offended[/QUOTE
I was the same!
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Still no guesses as to the most banned artist?

George Formby.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 03:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Adcro
Serious Dibber

This always annoys me. I'm a gay man and it doesn't offend me. The lyrics are INTENTED to be offensive and unpleasant. It's two people spitting venom at each other about how much they can't stand each other. The insult used (the one that rhymes with maggot) is an older generic insult before it was a homophobic slur, to generally mean weak willed or feeble.

It's overplayed anyway. It's not even a Christmas song, it's a song about addiction, abuse, and hatred, it just happens to be set on Christmas Eve... albeit in a police cell

"We want the lyrics changed because they're offensive. Meanwhile, here's Nicki Minaj rapping about her vagina..."

Edited at 03:46 AM.
Adcro is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Adcro View Post
This always annoys me. I'm a gay man and it doesn't offend me. The lyrics are INTENTED to be offensive and unpleasant. It's two people spitting venom at each other about how much they can't stand each other. The insult used (the one that rhymes with maggot) is an older generic insult before it was a homophobic slur, to generally mean weak willed or feeble.

It's overplayed anyway. It's not even a Christmas song, it's a song about addiction, abuse, and hatred, it just happens to be set on Christmas Eve... albeit in a police cell

"We want the lyrics changed because they're offensive. Meanwhile, here's Nicki Minaj rapping about her vagina..."
Best post of the thread ...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Harryporker
Earning More Ears

Mobile

But it's ok to use the word slut? Is that not derogatory to women?
Harryporker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Harryporker View Post
But it's ok to use the word slut? Is that not derogatory to women?
as per post no #1 shanes line using this word is removed completely from radio 1 version
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
It is old news being stirred up to cause trouble

Yes the reworked version that removed the homophobic hate language was removed in a Reworked version(s) over the years

The old language has no place in this tolerant society and I am sure Kirsty (who was a friend of my sisters so we knew her) would agree - 2020 is a different more tolerant and kinder place for us LGBT+ Than back then
I dont agree the words were not acceptable back then and it didn't bother her

She might countenance changing them now if she was still with us, but it would only be because she would want a career and her agent would say this is a popular thing to do

If she had really been off the mind to change the words she would have back when it was recorded
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Those of us who are lucky enough not to have experienced such prejudice are not the ones who should get to decide, frankly. Very easy for us to sit in our ivory tower and moan about the ‘good old days’ when we are not the ones affected.

It’s one word. Just change it and move on.

Anyway, there has been no mention yet of the act most often banned ... any guesses?
Some good points although there does seem in some quarters that people look to be offended.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Those of us who are lucky enough not to have experienced such prejudice are not the ones who should get to decide, frankly. Very easy for us to sit in our ivory tower and moan about the ‘good old days’ when we are not the ones affected.

It’s one word. Just change it and move on.

Anyway, there has been no mention yet of the act most often banned ... any guesses?
the BBC decided though not you/me/us ?

on this very thread we have two (maybe more?) members of the community who have every right to be offended by this & its 50/50 to ban not ban..?

not everything in life is as black & white..
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Well I must be either stupid or very naive because until I read this thread I never thought that the term being used in the context of this song was being interpreted as a homophobic slur. I actually thought they were singing about one of the Scottish meatball things made from offal and off cuts of meat! I always thought it was strange with Shane McGowan being a Irish and not Scottish... 😳
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List