Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Nov 20, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
What will actually happen I think is that non electric cars will hold their value much better
I was hearing on R4 yesterday an electric car is about £27,000 but that's OK because 'most people' get them on finance. Well, sorry mate but of my friends, only one can afford a car of that price. Most of my friends buy cars nearer the £2,700 price range and some are reduced to closer to £270.
As usual, car manufacturers are only interested in people who buy new cars and that's NOT helping the environment because new cars are not built to last. My Land Rover is 17 years old and well maintained and my one friend who can afford a new car has had at least 9 cars in that time. How on earth is his habit more environmentally friendly than mine?
2029 will be a good year to be a car/used car salesman

buy a half decent car wil last most punters 5+ years if looked after
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
2029 will be a good year to be a car/used car salesman

buy a half decent car wil last most punters 5+ years if looked after
My CRV is currently 14 years old and going strong, I’ll be looking to replace it with another (used low mileage) in a few years if it lasts that long, it will be the last car I ever buy I hope.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
This is what I posted on an earlier thread:

DH has been in the automotive battery industry for over 25 years, I am reporting what he and the conventional battery producers and sellers understand to be the case.
It is the lithium that is not recyclable and the amount of water used to mine it (mostly in Chile and Ecuador) is horrendously damaging to the environment, affecting water courses etc. The batteries cannot be produced without other precious metals which are toxic to mine and depend on China, potential supply issues in the future. Cannot be produced without cobalt, mostly produced by child labour in the DRC.
A battery recycling plant in Derbyshire has has to contract a special warehouse for the storage of spent lithium as it cannot go anywhere else, shipping lines will not transport it.
Prof. Michael Kelly, Technology Prof at Cambridge has this year warned about the increased use and move towards electric cars.
Even the Guardian has produced articles warning about the move towards electric.
I could go on and on but electric cars are not green and are far more damaging to the environment than we are led to believe.
I am no expert on this but read they are looking at extracting lithium from seawater which contains enough for billions of cars.
The batteries also last a long time. Some Tesla’s are now in over 1 million Km and the batteries are still going. There’s a lot less to go wrong in the drive train as well as basically it’s an electric motor directly driving the axle. Electric motors are notoriously reliable.
Plus you can use the batteries for lower powered uses even when you can’t use them for a car anymore- such as energy storage for your house. There will be a whole industry spring up eventually on this type of recycling I suspect.
But I’m biased as you can tell I am a convert
Old 19 Nov 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I am no expert on this but read they are looking at extracting lithium from seawater which contains enough for billions of cars.
The batteries also last a long time. Some Tesla’s are now in over 1 million Km and the batteries are still going. There’s a lot less to go wrong in the drive train as well as basically it’s an electric motor directly driving the axle. Electric motors are notoriously reliable.
Plus you can use the batteries for lower powered uses even when you can’t use them for a car anymore- such as energy storage for your house. There will be a whole industry spring up eventually on this type of recycling I suspect.
But I’m biased as you can tell I am a convert
lithium is 0.2 parts per million in seawater doable but would need to be evaporated to get at the lithium... massive intensive use of space/land/

by comparison salt is 35 parts per thousand in seawater.. salt pans take up a lot of space
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Worth a read as to why the ban is nothing really to worry about. When Top Gear are converted-

topgear/car-news/ele...-car-ban-means
Old 19 Nov 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Worth a read as to why the ban is nothing really to worry about. When Top Gear are converted-

topgear/car-news/ele...-car-ban-means
Ahh the Official Topgear opinion. What's Clarksons view?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Well James May has the same car as me and loves it Tom! I think he is still working on Clarkson.
Old 20 Nov 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Saw this, this morning and had a laugh.
Old 30 Nov 20, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Well we now have Jeremy Clarkson's official view on electric cars. Hilarious.

bbc/news/entertainment-arts-54784569

Quote:-

"I've just ordered a new Bentley, with a V8 engine, so that's where I stand," he says. "[Hammond and May] both have electric cars now but I'm carbon offsetting them."

"They're also very expensive and completely impractical and have the personality of a vacuum cleaner but if that's what you like, help yourself to an electric car."

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

On lithium extraction, although I've got no background in the matter, this seemed interesting:

bbc/future/article/2...e-green-energy

In essence; extraction of lithium from geothermal brine looks to be a practical source, and not only has far less environmental impact, could well be happening in Cornwall soon.

It looks plausible on first reading, anyway.
Andy C is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List