Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old Today, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Balayage or Highlights?

I’m coming to that time of life where my grey hairs are multiplying and I’d like to do something with my hair to make it less obvious.

I’ve got mid-brown hair and it naturally highlights, so I’ve never felt the need to add colours to it. As a result I’m totally clueless.

Does anyone have experience of using highlights or balayage to try and hide the onset of grey?

I’m leaning towards balayage as I gather it’s not so obvious when it starts growing out, so if I let it go a bit long to go back to the hairdressers it wouldn’t be the end of the world? But I want to make sure it’s the right choice for the pesky grey hairs.
Old Today, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Hecky78
Excited about Disney

My daughter has a balayage but it is not applied to her roots so I don’t think it would give you any grey coverage if it’s not put on the roots.
Hecky78 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I do highlights for my grey but I’m very fair so it all just blends in
Depending on the severity and positioning of the grey you might need to consider an overall colour but that can be a bit of a change when your hair naturally highlights like mine does
Old Today, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
becky2203
Imagineer

becky2203's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I think it depends where your grey is most obvious. For me it's the underside of my hair so balayage works best. If I had more grey on top then highlights would be better. If you can have a couple of different colour highlights done that are very close to your natural (non-grey) colour then they won't be so obvious when they grow out.
becky2203 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I just have an all over colour to disguise my grey - I manage to last 8-10 weeks before it needs redoing (it’s also cheaper than highlights). DD has balayage, but is from sort of the ears down, so no obvious root growth (and means she only has it done every 6 months).
Old Today, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Have you thought of framing your face if this is where greys are more noticeable? I'm leaning towards this. My greys are at the front so thinking going lighter there. My daughters has it done and then balayage through the hair. I usually dye it but i strip the colour using facial wipes when removing make up.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I have balayage but also have my roots dyed. The stylist blends the root colour into the balayage so it looks more natural. I probably have my roots done every 3 months, and the balayage properly redone every 6-9 months, and a little bit around the front if I need it.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I have balayage but also have my roots dyed. The stylist blends the root colour into the balayage so it looks more natural. I probably have my roots done every 3 months, and the balayage properly redone every 6-9 months, and a little bit around the front if I need it.
This is what I have. The balayage is blonde on otherwise brown hair. I have my roots done 6 weekly as hair grows quickly but the balayage which is a recent addition definitely hides the grey by blending it especially around the temples.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

I tried the highlights and tried to lighten my hair too, but this didn’t stop the grey looking obvious.

I decided to cut my long hair to a longish bob, and then home dye it regularly. It was the long hair which caused the issues when dye hair at home.
I really didn’t want to be a customer of the hairdresser every 4-5 weeks either (the hair dye there took hours! ) and I don’t especially like going either.

Sadly I didn’t find highlights helpful and as others have posted balayage is not at the roots so wouldn’t help either.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024

Edited at 04:43 PM.
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

I have a mixture of all these I think🤷. She puts some hair in foils, with 3 different colours then uses a brush to paint some of the roots at my crown. I need the foil bits done every 4 months I would say,plus the crown bits. Then the crown bits done in between with a cut. Over the winter I can go longer. I did ask if she thought I was at the stage to just go grey gracefully but she reckoned I would have a badger stripe😆

No before pics but here is what you are letting yourself in for - 3-4 hours in the chair and probably a bill of £100 where I am - £45 on the in between visits🫣

Only took these as DS messaged me and wanted to know why I wasn’t answering my phone! Not good at Selfies😆