Old 6 Jan 20, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
The 260 Mile West Coast Wander - August 2019 - Day 2 - One Historic Rd & One Unforgettable Sunset!

Monday 5th August

INDEX

No surprise what so ever that I was awake at a ridiculous time - 2.30am! I managed to doze for a hour or so but I was fairly awake at 4am. Scott was the same.
Morning view

I had a shower as we didn’t have the energy when we arrived and Scott did the same. The kids started to wake up then, not sure if it was because of us or just that their body clocks were all muddled up too.

Scott went down to the lobby to get some coffees whilst the kids got on with their showers and getting changed.

Breakfast opened at 6am but Scott said they were setting up for it already so we all went down and had something to eat.

It wasn’t a big buffet but there was enough to satisfy our appetite and set us up for the morning. It was also lovely and quiet at that time not too many early birds.

We checked out, loaded the car back up then went to the airport to change the car. A few more cars had come in and the lady on the desk said we could pick a car, still not a lot of choice but we saw a smaller 7 seater SUV, nothing fancy and maybe a little bit battered in places (we noted these) but a lot more manageable. Scott said we would’ve been fine with the beast but I wanted to do some driving and I knew I wouldn’t feel comfortable in a monster truck!

Anyhow we were soon all sorted so our next stop was Walmart to pick up a few essentials for the road trip.

We steered clear of the sweet aisle which was a little difficult as I'd been waiting all year for my Twizzler fix! We stocked up on snacks, crisps, muffins etc along with apples, bananas and grapes. We also purchased a few bottles of water so we’d be able to refill them along the trip.

On top of the food and drink we bought a cool box, big enough to hold bottles of water and juice. We had to buy a bag of ice too. We re- jigged the car boot to accommodate all the extra we’d just bought and then we were on our way to Kingman.

Before long we were at Kingman where we stopped off for a look around both outside and in the museum there. It was really hot so we didn’t stay outside for too long!

The museum was quite interesting and full of Route 66 souvenirs. It was also nice and air conditioned and there was a toilet there too which we all made use of!

A little further down was a fab little diner, it's a sahme we were still full from our big breakfast otherwise it would've been a lovely place to have an early lunch in.

Back on the road we stopped off at a few of the Route 66 gift shops which were very interesting to say the least!

The Hackberry General store was great to see with its old town feel about it. We made sure to purchase some drinks and snacks here after we took a few pictures.

It felt so cool to be driving along this historic road but we couldn’t stay on it for much longer as we wanted to make sure we made it to the Grand Canyon in plenty of time.

We stopped off for a toilet break at a McDonalds then decided to get some food whilst we were there as it was well past lunch time.
Then we had a couple more hours of driving to get to the Grand Canyon National Park. After the scenic route 66 this road seemed so dull and boring as it was so straight and went on for miles. It rained though so this brought a bit of excitement to the drive.

When we got to the entrance though the scenery really improved and we were getting really excited to see the Grand Canyon for the first time.

We’d purchased a pass from Ebay so we just had to show the pass along with my passport to the ranger when we got the gates. Finally we parked up at 4pm so the drive with the various stops had taken nearly 7 hours. Scott did so well and so did the kids who had managed a few naps along the way.

Decided to have our first look before checking in so we followed the cars and parked up at the large car park near to Mather Point.

So glad that the rain had stopped now and the sun had reappeared. I know it wouldn’t have mattered but if it had still been raining but I somehow had it in my head that the Grand Canyon is a hot dusty place!

Anyway we were glad to be there and as walked up the path then suddenly we were greeted with the most amazing sight!

Honestly I think all our jaws dropped! I know this might sound a bit daft as of course we’ve all seen the photos but my word pictures honestly didn’t do this place justice it was absolutely stunning.
Taking it all in

After standing there for some time just taking it all in we had a little walk along the rim, the further round we went the fewer people we saw.

Breathtaking views were everywhere what a start to our West Coast Adventure.

We finally pulled ourselves away and drove round to the Maswik to check in. We somehow got a little lost trying to find our room but eventually we did.

Whilst the room was a little dated it was clean and totally fine for what we needed. We did notice there wasn’t a rollaway bed so we had to go back to reception to request one and pay an additional $11.
Poppy said she really like the Maswik as it reminded her of Port Orleans and Center Parcs her favourite two places!
Our neighbours!

All sorted we made our way to the bus stop for the red route, somehow we got lost again! Eventually we found the right path after we asked back at reception and it was literally a 5 minute walk from the back of our room.

It had turned really windy and it had also been raining again, we could see lightning which looked very dramatic as we looked over the Grand Canyon.

Because of the weather we were told that the bus would only go as far as Mohave Point which as fine by us and all the way through to Hermits Rest. We waited sometime for a bus and it was really busy waiting there.

Eventually a bus came and which we managed to get on. The bus driver announced that the service would now back in full operation, it was still really windy but the rain had died down a lot.

We got off at Powell Point first and we were amazed at how different it all looked here. We walked out along the footpath I must admit to my legs shaking a little bit here and I had to walk with my arm through Scott’s. Even though you couldn’t see directly over the side at points it felt like you were walking near the edge and it scared me a little. What did really unnerve me though was Poppy happily skipping down the path I nearly had a heart attack and promptly told her to just walk! Why do kids have no fear!

After this we went to Mohave Point where we found a quiet little spot and settled down to watch the sunset.

Well it was one of the most amazing things we had ever seen even the kids were transfixed watching the changing colours on the canyon walls and the beautiful sky.

It was very moving and we all felt so lucky to see this very special sight.

Afterwards we walked down to the railing to have a look over the canyon. It was getting darker but we could still see ok. We didn’t want to be rushing to the bus stop straight away as we knew it would be really busy so. I’m not sure how but as I turned round I managed to stumble over a large tree stump. Thankfully I didn’t twist my ankle but I did graze it quiet badly and I was hopping around for some time!

It was now quite dark so we headed back to the bus stop. There was a fair bit of cloud so we didn’t rate our chances of seeing a starry night.

Back at the Maswik we ordered a big pizza from the food court there which wasn’t that good. We showered and went to bed around 9.30 as we had an early start in the morning and we were pretty tired too!

Well what a brilliant first day we had seen and done so much already we couldn’t wait to see what tomorrow would bring.

Steps - 16,879

Thanks for reading

Edited at 06:21 PM.
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

What beautiful photos Julia - especially those at sunset. It looks an amazing place to visit.

Had to laugh at you telling Poppy to walk - kids have no sense of danger sometimes- Id have been like you!

Hope your ankle wasn’t too bad. A great first full day.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

Wow, that sunset, just stunning.
Old 8 Jan 20, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Stan1805
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Wow beautiful sunset 🌅
Stan1805 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile

Photos are beautiful Julia!
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
What beautiful photos Julia - especially those at sunset. It looks an amazing place to visit.

Had to laugh at you telling Poppy to walk - kids have no sense of danger sometimes- Id have been like you!

Hope your ankle wasn’t too bad. A great first full day.
Thank you Diane, the photo's really don't do the place justice, it was amazing.

I know i couldn't believe Poppy, i kept telling them all to stay well back form the edge!

Thankfully it was just badly grazed, i'm glad i didn't sprain it!

Thank you for reading
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by KayLouise View Post
Wow, that sunset, just stunning.
It really was stunning, thanks for reading
Old 8 Jan 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Stan1805 View Post
Wow beautiful sunset 🌅
Thank you for your lovely comment
Old 8 Jan 20, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Tinkertangled View Post
Photos are beautiful Julia!
Ahh thank you
Old 8 Jan 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamofmagic
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I love all tour trip reports and your photos are beautiful, that one of your children looking out at the sunset should be put on a canvas! My mum took a photo of the sunset at Clearwater beach when we were there 9 years ago and we got it on a canvas for her and I love looking at it and remembering our holiday, can’t wait for the rest of your report x