Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Nov 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile Any Burma Stars in your family?

I'm very proud to say my 2 uncles both earned the Burma Star.

One was aboard HMS Pathfinder bombarding Japanese troops from the Kleindaung river. Plus a lot of other highly dangerous stuff.

The other was on General Slim's staff. He'd had a head wound but always said he'd done it falling off his bike.

Greatest Generation.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yep, I have my Dad’s Burma Star medal. He never mentioned anything about the war unless asked. He just said it was over and done with and he didn’t want to go on about it.
Lola is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
I have my dad's Burma Star too.
He was a POW in a Japanese camp after being captured in Burma.
Like Lola's dad he said very little and nowadays would have been helped with the blatent PTSD he suffered from ... but unheard of back in the day! He just had to get on with life.
Wish i had tried to get him to open up more while he was alive ... too late now :-(
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

My mum has my grandads Burma star.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

My grandad had the Burma star x
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

My nephew has my dads Burma Star & his other 3 medals. He never wanted them & it was actually my mum who sent off & applied for them. As children he only ever told us about good things that happened, like the Boa Constrictor snake in their tent one night (whether that was true on not I will never know) but as kids dad was a very good story teller & I always remember that one. One of his most prized possessions was a Rupee note signed by Vera Lynn when he met her doing a concert out there. When I see her singing to the troops I scan the crowd & wonder if my dad is in there somewhere.
Miss you dad, God Bless x
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

We will none of us ever know but I wonder if any of our dads knew each other!
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Dino Rach
Proud to wear my Ears

Yes, I’m very proud to say my grandad had the Burma star xx
Dino Rach is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
My nephew has my dads Burma Star & his other 3 medals. He never wanted them & it was actually my mum who sent off & applied for them. As children he only ever told us about good things that happened, like the Boa Constrictor snake in their tent one night (whether that was true on not I will never know) but as kids dad was a very good story teller & I always remember that one. One of his most prized possessions was a Rupee note signed by Vera Lynn when he met her doing a concert out there. When I see her singing to the troops I scan the crowd & wonder if my dad is in there somewhere.
Miss you dad, God Bless x
My grandad told the same story! Perhaps they even shared a tent!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
My grandad told the same story! Perhaps they even shared a tent!
OMG really ! Perhaps it was true then amy