Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Nov 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Storing/Displaying Prized Possessions

We said goodbye to Mum last week. It was a strange affair with limited numbers allowed to attend the funeral and no big wake afterwards but it was heartfelt and we had tea and cake afterwards with happy and funny stories exchanged, just as she would have liked it.

I have come away with her father’s war medals and some very old framed photographs of her parents and one of mum and dad on their wedding day and would like to hear how you store/display precious family bits and pieces.

Do you display or have you stored for safe keeping? I’m not sure what to do!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I have a glass fronted side board (are they still called that) & all my precious bits are in there on display for me to see on a daily basis. It also means anything silver stays silver and does not tarnish. Please remember if you have anything that you want the next generation to know about it put a description & story about it with the object. I have my grandfathers Boatswain whistle that he carried in a famous battle & I have put it on top of a note with relevant names and dates, as otherwise it is just a Bosun's whistle.
Old 30 Nov 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I’m in the process of naming people in the old photos that my late dad got from my Nan . I am putting births, deaths and everything i can find out about them in a book for my family for when I’m unable to ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Sorry to hear your news. Can I ask do you have a photo of the medals please as I have good ideas on displaying them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Sorry to hear your news. Can I ask do you have a photo of the medals please as I have good ideas on displaying them.
They are currently displayed in a case which was hand made by my grandfather so I’m tempted not to touch them but they could obviously do with a good clean.

These are Col’s medals from his recent service so it would be nice to do something to complement each set

Finally this is the cabinet which mum and dad bought with their first pay packet as a married couple in 1962 which currently houses Col’s medals and associated RAF memorabilia, as well as a tea set previously inherited.

I’m not sure whether to restore the cabinet and use for displaying items passed down to me or buy something new to display the medals separately
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
They are currently displayed in a case which was hand made by my grandfather so I’m tempted not to touch them but they could obviously do with a good clean.

These are Col’s medals from his recent service so it would be nice to do something to complement each set

Finally this is the cabinet which mum and dad bought with their first pay packet as a married couple in 1962 which currently houses Col’s medals and associated RAF memorabilia, as well as a tea set previously inherited.

I’m not sure whether to restore the cabinet and use for displaying items passed down to me or buy something new to display the medals separately
Nice sets. Are Grandads from WW1? The 4 'Stars' are throwing me sorry

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Nice sets. Are Grandads from WW1? The 4 'Stars' are throwing me sorry
We think they are general issue WWII and 3 of them have the following imprinted:

The France and Germany Star
The Italy Star
The Africa Star
Old 30 Nov 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Right I'm on the iPad now so can see them. From left to right

1. 1939 - 1945 Star.
2. France and Germany Star
3. Italy Star
4. Africa Star
5. War Medal 1939 - 1945

What a nice set. That almost certainly relates to a Soldier who started in the N.African campaign and then fought his way up through Italy, in to France and right through to Germany as the War ended.

If they were mine I would remove the ribbons, roll them nicely and have them sewn closed. I would use a professional restorers to clean (not polish) the medals and re ribbon the set.
Then have them Court Mounted in date order.

Finally I would use a mounting box to showcase them

My Grandads are framed but I have photos and dog tags etc so a lot to display.

Old 30 Nov 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Right I'm on the iPad now so can see them. From left to right

1. 1939 - 1945 Star.
2. France and Germany Star
3. Italy Star
4. Africa Star
5. War Medal 1939 - 1945

What a nice set. That almost certainly relates to a Soldier who started in the N.African campaign and then fought his way up through Italy, in to France and right through to Germany as the War ended.

If they were mine I would remove the ribbons, roll them nicely and have them sewn closed. I would use a professional restorers to clean (not polish) the medals and re ribbon the set.
Then have them Court Mounted in date order.

Finally I would use a mounting box to showcase them

My Grandads are framed but I have photos and dog tags etc so a lot to display.
Ah hem, Airman please Mr Tom, not Soldier 😉

That’s a lovely idea and I will discuss it with Col. I think this will enhance the display for both service records ... I may even add in a cheeky photo of me in my WRAF uniform, alas with no medals but I was awarded an Air Officer Commanding honour in conjunction with the Queen’s Birthday Honours List (very small claim to fame lol)

It’s strange how you become more proud of these things as you get older ❤️
Old 30 Nov 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
Ah hem, Airman please Mr Tom, not Soldier 😉

That’s a lovely idea and I will discuss it with Col. I think this will enhance the display for both service records ... I may even add in a cheeky photo of me in my WRAF uniform, alas with no medals but I was awarded an Air Officer Commanding honour in conjunction with the Queen’s Birthday Honours List (very small claim to fame lol)

It’s strange how you become more proud of these things as you get older ❤️
Oops! Don’t they say the Navy and Army have traditions but the RAF only has habits.

Maybe one big frame incorporating the both sets?
That could look nice.

You can get little plastic plaques made to name each individual.

This is my Grandfathers from WW1. His dog tags are on the left hand side by the small photo. His were rarer as he joined in 1914 so they are fibre not metal hence remains from that date cannot be identified as the tags have rotted.