Car/bike 3 1.01%
Other 14 4.71%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Aug 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Mobile

We had been planning for a west coast road trip for next year but my husband does not want to even book flights while things are still uncertain, I did disagree at first but now we are putting holiday plans on hold and have plans for an extension on our home instead which has been talked about for a couple of years, of course if bargain flights pop up in the future and things are more settled maybe we’ll do both😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I would prefer a holiday, and do prefer a holiday, but I don't spend that much 😉

However that said. We have had three holidays cancelled this year. I stead we are having a patio and a new boiler. Both of which I am wierdly excited about and hope they make a difference to our lives. I do save for both, but the issue is time really. I would rather spend my time on holidays rather than home improvements. Think that is the nub of the matter.

Tbh it is nice to do both.

It is nice to have the option to do either.

Feel very lucky. Several of my friends are very grateful that their holidays have been cancelled as they now have funds to live on during furlough and after being let go.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve ended up booking a new patio. The one we got with the house was more like a path.
A window for the en suite as for some reason they didn’t put one in but I think it will help in the long run with the steam etc
And since we are having the patio done and the gate the house people put in keeps dropping we thought we might as well replace that as the new mental poles for the gate are a lot thinner than the wood and wouldn’t like to have to get someone to re-do that part of the patio when we change it.

All those three come in for £300 less than what I paid virgin for flights,villa and car and will last a lot longer than the 3 weeks holiday

Hubby is still cross cos I don’t wanna spend money on these things but I would not hesitate at all to spend this on a holiday if someone said everything is back to normal you can go right now.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We've now wisely wasted some of our holiday money on planning a new bedroom - the furniture is ordered and I need to look for a mattress, carpet, wallpaper, soft furnishings etc - also need to book a decorator and carpet fitter!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
We've now wisely wasted some of our holiday money on planning a new bedroom - the furniture is ordered and I need to look for a mattress, carpet, wallpaper, soft furnishings etc - also need to book a decorator and carpet fitter!
That sounds good. We did same spent on home improvements.

Still don’t get it though I have spent a fraction of our holiday money on things that will last 5-10years at least and yet I still have this nagging feeling that I’ve spent money.
When I book holiday I don’t have this at all!
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Its harder to compare holiday or conservatory, as I assume you don;t have one, but when my son and daughter were growing up I would often consider the cost of renewing something in terms of Florida holidays, we never replaced the kitchen in our house, or the carpets and had holidays instead. Now in their late 20's/30's they talk about the holidays they went on - never once have they said but ... had a lovely kitchen and we didn't.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
Its harder to compare holiday or conservatory, as I assume you don;t have one, but when my son and daughter were growing up I would often consider the cost of renewing something in terms of Florida holidays, we never replaced the kitchen in our house, or the carpets and had holidays instead. Now in their late 20's/30's they talk about the holidays they went on - never once have they said but ... had a lovely kitchen and we didn't.
I know. That was the point I was trying to make to hubby. We won’t have a conservatory anyway it was just a comparison.
Basically what he wanted was a new patio,gate, new shower,window etc.
All things that probably need doing and all under the price I would have paid for the cruise let along Florida but I still um and ah about the prices for those but never do for Florida cos in my eyes 3 weeks there is of more benefit to me than a new patio. Hubby didn’t feel the same.
Old 4 Oct 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Conservatory but a cheaper break!
Old 4 Oct 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I wouldn't get into debt for a holiday. Nor would I leave jobs that needed done - that would cause issues if left like something leaking, or causing damage.
But I lived with the same kitchen for 17 years, it was ok, nothing broken, just looked old fashioned, same with carpets and other home improvements and went on holidays instead. I absolutely dont regret that as now my son and daughter has moved into their own homes and as we get older I worry our health will cause issues with travel (travel insurance is a total pain having to delare everything in details)
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

The amount we spend on our holidays is enough to make your eyes water when you look at the total figure - we book way in advance & pay it off as we go So we’re clear before we leave the UK - just means we tend to add bits in as we go along waiting for travel day !

But this year we've actually done loads of home improvements we would never have done those improvements if Covid hadn’t stopped us travelling...
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List