Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old Today, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What would you do? Going to NY

We booked to go to New York in December, paid for flights in January. In feb Poppy our dog went blind and got diabetes, she’s since had Cataract surgery and can see quite well. My oldest son and his wife have said they’d stay at our house while we’re away. They will book holiday or work from home, feed her and inject her and keep her company. Poppy is awful with her insulin injection, we’ve tried everything treats, a groomers sling. We have a soft muzzle and a cone and it still takes two of us. She tries to bite, run away, hide and she yelps because I have to do it so quick. If I took my time it wouldn’t hurt her. It’s only one injection in the morning. We also don’t eat infront of her because she’s allowed no food at lunchtime only morning and night. We do give her the odd treat and we all have dinner in the evening. My son is aware how she is but still offered to have her. The vets is 10 mins away by car so they could always go there if need be. Would you go and leave your dog? me and my husband are scared they won’t be able to inject her or something will happen to her while we are away. This holiday is because we both turn 60 this year and we’d be there for my husbands birthday, also my other son and daughter are coming with us. Can you lovely dibbers tell me what you’d do? My son said they need to book days off work so need to know. I want to go but don’t want to leave Poppy.
Old Today, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Oh Sandra this is a difficult one! I am so sorry you are going through this, Poppy clearly has wonderful parents who love her dearly. I would say your son wouldn’t offer if he didn’t feel comfortable doing it, maybe ask them to come and do the injection now to see how they cope? I hope that you get to celebrate your special birthdays how you want to xxx

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Go!
Your son will look after Poppy just fine 😘
It sounds like he knows what's involved, and is still happy to do it xx
TheHughesCrew is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Sandra, I think you should go.

Your son should be allowed to cope, if he really can't injection her then he can drive her to the vet and they will do it. It also will not hurt her if she misses an injection, it's better if she doesn't but if she does she will be OK.

Go for it, enjoy it and come back to Poppy after the holiday.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Your son has plenty of time to prepare and practice a few times. I'd definitely book and go. She'll be in good hands.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
We booked to go to New York in December, paid for flights in January. In feb Poppy our dog went blind and got diabetes, she’s since had Cataract surgery and can see quite well. My oldest son and his wife have said they’d stay at our house while we’re away. They will book holiday or work from home, feed her and inject her and keep her company. Poppy is awful with her insulin injection, we’ve tried everything treats, a groomers sling. We have a soft muzzle and a cone and it still takes two of us. She tries to bite, run away, hide and she yelps because I have to do it so quick. If I took my time it wouldn’t hurt her. It’s only one injection in the morning. We also don’t eat infront of her because she’s allowed no food at lunchtime only morning and night. We do give her the odd treat and we all have dinner in the evening. My son is aware how she is but still offered to have her. The vets is 10 mins away by car so they could always go there if need be. Would you go and leave your dog? me and my husband are scared they won’t be able to inject her or something will happen to her while we are away. This holiday is because we both turn 60 this year and we’d be there for my husbands birthday, also my other son and daughter are coming with us. Can you lovely dibbers tell me what you’d do? My son said they need to book days off work so need to know. I want to go but don’t want to leave Poppy.
Awww Sandra what a dilemma, I’d definitely go I’m sure Poppy will be better with the injections by December it’s a long while yet ❤️≈🩹
And how good is Luke & his wife to offer to help you all out👌
Plus you have to go as I need my Magnolia Bakery cupcake fix so I’m relying on you, don’t be so selfish
🧁❤️🇺🇸🍎🧁❤️🇺🇸🍎x

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I can imagine how you are feeling as I’m sure I would be the same as I hate leaving Aulani too, let alone with injections.

If it was me, I would do as Louise suggests and ask your son to come around and do an injection - that way you know if he can do so, and he will also really know what he’s agreeing to, which will hopefully put your mind at rest while you are away ❤️
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I am in a similar position as our dog has been diagnosed with a life limiting issue and I really worry about leaving him.
If Poppy is anything like my boy though she may be better with your son doing the injections than she is with you doing them. My dog hates me doing anything but will happily stand and let someone else do it. I would get him to come round and try a couple of times to give you peace of mind that she will be ok with him injecting er.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I am in a similar position as our dog has been diagnosed with a life limiting issue and I really worry about leaving him.
If Poppy is anything like my boy though she may be better with your son doing the injections than she is with you doing them. My dog hates me doing anything but will happily stand and let someone else do it. I would get him to come round and try a couple of times to give you peace of mind that she will be ok with him injecting er.
I hope your doggy is ok, she does play up for us I’m sure. 🫣
The surgeon for her eyes said she’s really good, the young nurses were scared of her because she tried to bite them. 😭
Old Today, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You could do with a break Sandra, Poppy will be fine with her big brother looking after her xx
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List