VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
OKW v SSR

Thoughts please folks! Next year my DD has decided to come with us to celebrate a big birthday, so we will be 3 adults wanting to stay onsite with DDP but don't want to be in 1 room (don't love her that much ). I want to book next month when (hopefully) the DDP offer will be out and I've whittled it down to a 1 bed villa at either OKW or SSR.
Which would you book and why?
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

i have never stayed at either so not much help,i voted for Ole Key West simply because i like the look of it better than SS,but thats not a lot to go on i know! ..
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
i have never stayed at either so not much help,i voted for Ole Key West simply because i like the look of it better than SS,but thats not a lot to go on i know! ..
Thanks for answering
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
TRIP REPORT INDEX
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post

SSR due to the walk to Springs - it was so nice being so close!

Although, on the flip side, OKW does look like a nicer resort, but that's not to say SSR isn't fab.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Seaworldfan
Imagineer

Weve gone for OKW (albeit just a studio) as being 2 adults we will appreciate the more laid back, possibly less Disney-fied place to retreat to. We have specifically asked for a room in a block away from the busy main roads that surround OKW so hopefully it will be nice and quiet.
Seaworldfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Ssr due to proximity to DS and better qs options.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by CLB_14 View Post
SSR due to the walk to Springs - it was so nice being so close!
Although, on the flip side, OKW does look like a nicer resort, but that's not to say SSR isn't fab.
Originally Posted by Seaworldfan View Post
Weve gone for OKW (albeit just a studio) as being 2 adults we will appreciate the more laid back, possibly less Disney-fied place to retreat to. We have specifically asked for a room in a block away from the busy main roads that surround OKW so hopefully it will be nice and quiet.
Originally Posted by mancdisney View Post
Ssr due to proximity to DS and better qs options.
Thanks for your thoughts - my feelings so far are SSR for the easier access to DS (which we love), but the 1 bed Studio at OKW is much bigger than the ones at SSR and the Keys theming at OKW is nicer! Back to square 1
Would love just to go back to BC or AKL but 3 adults in 1 room for 2 weeks is a bit much!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
TRIP REPORT INDEX
Old 27 Mar 17, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Not stayed at SSR but visited there when my sister stayed - it is nice but we much preferred OKW - - we liked the feel of OKW more - maybe though that's because we were staying there and not SSR. She prefers SSR to OKW. We are staying for a week at OKW in May this year - hope it's as nice as it was last time.
Old 27 Mar 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

We've been to both but prefer OKW it just feels nicer and more layed back which after a day in the parks feels wonderful. The staff seem friendlier too - in OKW every staff member you walked past either said hello or smiled at you but a lot at SSR just walked past. Although couldn't fault either at Reception both very helpfull.
The walk to DS didn't work for us as we were at the other end of the resort plus I don't really like what they've done to DS so being closer isn't a selling point for us.
We found the ferry was less frequent to SSR and we seemed to wait for ages for the buses.
The final thing that put us of SSR was after lots of recommendations from here we picked to stay at the Grandstand area as it had its own pool area with a food and drinks station, however in a 3wk August stay we only saw it open 3 times - which meant we barely got use out of the refillable mugs and if we wanted to eat in our resort we had to go to the main area.
There was more food choice at SSR though.

If the prices were the same we'd choose OKW every time however if SSR was significantly cheaper we would go for SSR but maybe stay in a different area.
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by halloweenbaby2 View Post
We've been to both but prefer OKW it just feels nicer and more layed back which after a day in the parks feels wonderful. The staff seem friendlier too - in OKW every staff member you walked past either said hello or smiled at you but a lot at SSR just walked past. Although couldn't fault either at Reception both very helpfull.
The walk to DS didn't work for us as we were at the other end of the resort plus I don't really like what they've done to DS so being closer isn't a selling point for us.
We found the ferry was less frequent to SSR and we seemed to wait for ages for the buses.
The final thing that put us of SSR was after lots of recommendations from here we picked to stay at the Grandstand area as it had its own pool area with a food and drinks station, however in a 3wk August stay we only saw it open 3 times - which meant we barely got use out of the refillable mugs and if we wanted to eat in our resort we had to go to the main area.
There was more food choice at SSR though.

If the prices were the same we'd choose OKW every time however if SSR was significantly cheaper we would go for SSR but maybe stay in a different area.
Thank you this is really helpful.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
TRIP REPORT INDEX