Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 12 Nov 17, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
The current M&S Dine-In

Has anyone had the rump steak yet from the offer that is currently on? We bought it yesterday. The steak was tough, tough, tough. I did not eat mine. I have brought this to the attention of M&S by email just now. Usually these offers are really good, but I do think that the variety of main course is slowly getting limited/not as good as it used to be/quality is deteriorating. What do other Dibbers think?
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Rump is very tough. You would need to bash the life out of it with a tenderiser and also don't cook it too long. Medium rare is best but medium at the very most or it will be tough.

Dont cook it straight out of the fridge. Let it come to room temp first for at least an hour.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
Rump is very tough. You would need to bash the life out of it with a tenderiser and also don't cook it too long. Medium rare is best but medium at the very most or it will be tough.

Dont cook it straight out of the fridge. Let it come to room temp first for at least an hour.
Would agree here.
Fillet is tender and melting and less flavoursome, Sirloin the best of both worlds, rump can be tough, but has more flavour. (mine gets bashed with the rolling pin and flash fried)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Also something to think about with these cuts of meat is the grain.

Take this rump for instance...

With that on your plate you would be tempted to slice it down the narrowest part. Top to bottom. But the way the grain runs on this steak is top to bottom. You are actually making it tougher and chewier slicing it like that.

Slice it against the grain and you will have a much more tender bite as you are not trying to chew longer muscle strands.

SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
That's interesting, Simon. I will bear that in mind. I would have preferred the ready to roast turkey or chicken or whatever it was.

Really the only steak I like is fillet.

Edited at 05:40 PM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
anniee
Imagineer

I wouldn't buy rump as I am too lazy to chew it. Fillet for special occasions but we also like a rib-eye.