Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Apr 17, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWNovice
New Poster (3)

Planning the Proposal

WDW cant come sooner! 172 day from today!

I've put off proposing to my Girlfriend for a while now, for the one reason, with WDW booked for this year and knowing it is her favorite place on earth. I feel that she would treasure it more if it happened there than anywhere else.

We booked our stay at WDW as soon as the dates came out and opted for a moderate hotel option. Since then we always joke about upgrading to the Grand Floridian for our trip and that one day we will stay there as a special treat. That's when the bright idea came of what i was going to do. Book a stay at the Grand Floridian for a night within our already booked stay

The planning.

Now I've had this booked since the beginning of this year and so far haven't let slip to anyone (apart from yourselves) what im doing.

I decided to book a Theme Park View room for the night. I thought it would beat a Garden view room

With this booked and deposit paid I was thinking of what else I could do to make this day unforgettable. A special dining experience sprung to mind - Victoria and Alberts was what i was thinking.

Booking dining for the evening was stressful to say the least!

Firstly it started with her mentioning we should book Victoria and Alberts as a one off visit during our two weeks - i had to put her off the idea. I came up with the best reason, I wouldn't want to dine there, we both agreed to book the restaurants at the places we both would want to try and passed on booking Victoria and Alberts. Now that was the easy part.

The dining reservations opened yesterday for the date I have chosen and thats where it got stressful.

I logged on at 11am ready to book the table reservation, entered all the information on the date and restaurant and...Nothing! . no tables . I was absolutely gutted that half my idea was not able to happen.

Im thinking of what to do, do i look at booking the dining for another night or do i change the hotel date?. I decided to give Disney a call and see if i could change the date of the hotel to hopefully accommodate the dining request. After spending nearly a hour speaking to Disney trying to change the hotel date they advised no rooms of the same type. However they had other room types available on alternative dates, but nearly double the price!. Thanked them for their time and left it as is. I wouldn't get a table on the evening I've booked and will have to think of something else to do.

I thought I will give it another last ditch attempt and re check the availability to see if it was all booked up. I logged in found the dining venue, entered the date and there's a only table showing! 5.30pm was showing and i didn't hesitate booking it - I was on it like a car bonnet aha.

I was excited but nervous at the same time whilst booking the dining, im thinking BOOK IT! JUST BOOK IT! . Fingers, toes everything was crossed hoping it would successfully book and it booked Once booked I had to have a little yippee moment, obviously with a little fist pump in the air too haha.

The feeling of knowing ive managed to book everything I wanted to have for this day is amazing

Just the last thing to organise and the most important thing, buying the ring. Now i haven’t got that far just yet, but fear not I plenty of time to organise this final part.

Next updates will probably be when we return or if something else is added to the plan - We will write a trip report but using our joint Dibb account so will eventually link that here too.

Thanks for reading
WDWNovice is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
Aw that sounds lovely
Old 15 Apr 17, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Flimsey
Very Serious Dibber

Flimsey's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Sounds fabulous, I am sure she will love it
Flimsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Just a little idea, having read your lovely post.

How about printing out your Dibb planning posts and putting them in a little memory book for you both. You could give it to her with blank pages at the back to add photos of the proposal.

You could include things like photos of you buying the ring, the V&A email confirmation etc.

It just seems that she will have no idea of the wonderful effort you have gone to to make this magical for the, and if it was me, that would mean more to me than anything. And believe me, as someone who's been happily married for 21 years next month (we renewed our vows on the Lagoon last summer), you need memories to look back on.

Thanks for sharing.
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Sounds perfect
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinxylady
Excited about Disney

Mobile

That. Sounds. Amazing! 😁
Old 15 Apr 17, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Sounds amazing. She will be overwhelmed I'm sure. I also think sandieb's suggestion is also great.
Old 15 Apr 17, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
beanbunny
Apprentice Imagineer

How romantic! Well done, what a wonderful surprise.
Old 15 Apr 17, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

nice - great planning

we got engaged at the turn of the millennium
was planning all lavish - but both of us had the winter bug!
we snorted and sniff into the spare room looking towards Glasgow city centre (fireworks view) - midnight - saw 1 fw - do ya wanna, snff - okay sniff - back to bed!

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
GemLiam
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

GemLiam's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Are you planning on asking at V&A or in the room as the fireworks go off? OMG how exciting!
My husband proposed while on our first trip to Disney, he's not a very showy person so after our Crystal Palace lunch he waited for the room to clear out and then hid the ring in the camera case so when I went to put the camera away, there it was lol cheesy!
I read on here about someones proposal where they did it in front of a photopass photographer infront of the castle, good momentos.

Gem

The Floridian Hotel & Suit (I Drive) - 2012 Engagement Disney Caribbean Beach Resort - 2014 Honeymoon Disney Port Orleans French Quarters - 2015 With Friends Disney Santa Fe DLP - 2016 With Bro Disney Sequoia Lodge DLP - 2017 With Daughter Disney Port Orleans French Quarters - 2019 With Daughter
GemLiam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List