Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 29 Oct 17, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

Maximising Clubcard Points Thread

I thought I'd start a thread on this as the Clubcard partnership with Hotels.com is now very lucrative. I managed to exchange over £100 of vouchers for £300 off our hotel on our trip this month and I have set myself a goal of earning enough vouchers to cover our next trip's accommodation in its entirety - a 26 night stay! I think I'll need approximately £500 in Clubcard vouchers within the next fifteen months. That's the challenge!

I'll be posting deals I find on HeadForPoints, ShopperPoints, MSE, LoyaltyCardPoints and HUKD. I'll also include the odd non-Clubcard deal if it's worthwhile.

100 Clubcard points = £1
100 Clubcard points = £3 at Hotels.com

Here's what I've done since we returned four weeks ago:

- Redeemed my £30 worth of remaining Quidco cashback for Zeek vouchers. This gave me £34.50 in Zeek vouchers which I used to put towards a £40 Tesco gift card that was being sold for £39. Total spend in cash - £4.50.

- Pre-ordered the new Philip Pullman book for a bonus 100 Clubcard points. I then sold it on eBay for £10. I lost a few quid on the postage but was happy enough as I used the gift card.
£3 in Hotels credit

- Bought a NowTV box for £20. I cancelled our Netflix subscription, saving us £8 a month and we now have NowTV instead. The first two months are free and I got 500 bonus Clubcard points. I also used the credit on the gift card. This offer is still on!
£15 in Hotels credit / Saved £96 a year on Netflix sub

- Spent £62 (including £10 left on the gift card) on Lego Ninjago. This came with 1,000 bonus points. I will gift these to nephews at Christmas. I would have bought them gifts anyway so this was a no-brainer.
£30 in Hotels credit

- I bought a Humax HD TV Recorder. I also cancelled our Virgin TV and broadband package on the same day that was costing us £56 a month. The Humax is a FreeSat box so we'll have access to all the channels we watched anyway and will still be able to record. I'll have to stream my football matches but that shouldn't be a problem. The box cost £169 and came with a bonus 1,000 Clubcard points. Assuming our new broadband-only provider is about £20 a month plus the cost of the box, we'll save £263 over the course of the next twelve months. This offer is still on!
£30 in Hotels credit / Saved £263 a year on Virgin sub

- Bought my partner a Fitbit Flex 2 for Christmas for £69. I obviously would be buying him gifts anyway and with 500 bonus Clubcard points, it was another no-brainer. I am picking this up in-store tomorrow.
£15 in Hotels credit

Total Clubcard points to date: 3,430
Total Hotels.com credit to date: £102 / Target: £1500

On top of all this, I've earned over £15 by clicking through to Tesco Direct from TopCashback.

If there's enough interest, I'll post my finds on this thread from the sources I mentioned above. And if you find anything, please post!
September 2017 - Port Orleans Riverside/Grand/St Pete's/Disney Cruise

September 2019 - AKL + Off-site

Edited at 08:44 PM.
66Caunce is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 17, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Wow, you really have done well. Good on you and good luck.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
AgentTink
Getting Excited

I will definitely be following this thread as I love collecting Tesco Clubcard points and looking out for deals as currently we use them for all our days out vouchers.

Have you thought about a Tesco credit card (only if you can pay it off). We put all our monthly spends on it and get 1 point for every £4 spent in a transaction outside of Tesco, plus a extra point on top of normal clubcard points I think for every £4 in Tesco.

Edited at 08:17 AM.
AgentTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Great thread thanks.
A few years ago we had our Cosmos Florida holiday for under £2k for 5 of us by using clubcard points. Sadly this was when the points were x4 times the value and there were lots of bonus points around.
Great to see there are more deals around.
Good luck to you
Old 30 Oct 17, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
anniee
Imagineer

Ooh, I am definitely interested in this. Thanks for posting, you have some great deals there.
Old 30 Oct 17, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
I will definitely be following this thread as I love collecting Tesco Clubcard points and looking out for deals as currently we use them for all our days out vouchers.

Have you thought about a Tesco credit card (only if you can pay it off). We put all our monthly spends on it and get 1 point for every £4 spent in a transaction outside of Tesco, plus a extra point on top of normal clubcard points I think for every £4 in Tesco.
I have. I'm awaiting a sign up bonus or referral. I've not had a credit card for years (after being a bit silly with 'several' when I was younger) so I'm a bit wary. I am using the Tesco Pay+ app in-store though - that gives an extra 1 point for every £4 spent. You just pay with your phone, like Apple/Android pay. I tend to pick up groceries when I'm in-store picking up an online order. I'll be doing a £40ish shop today to get the 10 extra points.

Originally Posted by Bee happy View Post
Great thread thanks.
A few years ago we had our Cosmos Florida holiday for under £2k for 5 of us by using clubcard points. Sadly this was when the points were x4 times the value and there were lots of bonus points around.
Great to see there are more deals around.
Good luck to you
Ah, Cosmos holidays! I remember them well. We got a similarly good deal but didn't go to Florida (we hadn't been to Orlando when we last did Cosmos - shows how long ago that was)

Originally Posted by anniee View Post
Ooh, I am definitely interested in this. Thanks for posting, you have some great deals there.
I'll keep it updated. There's nothing today, unfortunately.

66Caunce is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
AgentTink
Getting Excited

Yeah I also use Payquick App too to get the extra points... as they say every little helps

Another good way of getting points is recycling ink cartridges through the Tesco scheme if you use any or anyone you know used them. Our particular model gets us 125 points for each cartridge we send them and the postage is free. We get through quite a bit if ink with our little girl always printing off pictures.
Disneyland Hong Kong - Nov 2006
AgentTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 17, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
Yeah I also use Payquick App too to get the extra points... as they say every little helps

Another good way of getting points is recycling ink cartridges through the Tesco scheme if you use any or anyone you know used them. Our particular model gets us 125 points for each cartridge we send them and the postage is free. We get through quite a bit if ink with our little girl always printing off pictures.
Yes, good point. I used to do this regularly back when we had an HP printer. I even used to buy empties on eBay to send to Tesco. Haven't done this for at least a year so will look into it again.

Old 31 Oct 17, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
66Caunce
Excited about Disney

Today - pre-order the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid book for £6 and collect 100 bonus Clubcard points. I can gift this at Christmas to a nephew so a nice boost to October's tally at the end of the month.
£3 Hotels.com credit

October's numbers:

Total Clubcard points to date: 3,536
Total Hotels.com credit to date: £105 / Target: £1500

Not a bad month but if I earn the same every month, I will only have about £1200 by the time it comes to going on holiday. That might be just short of a £50 a night room.

Also, there's the issue of the points converting to vouchers. They only do this four times a year - once in Jan/Feb, Apr/May, Jul/Aug and Oct/Nov. As we're due to go in October, the last collection date will be next summer, so I need to earn an average of about £150 in Hotels.com credit a month before the Jul/Aug cut off.

Old 31 Oct 17, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

This sounds great but is there not a limit on the amount of vouchers you can exchange with hotels.com. If you need more than one room you have to pay for all additional rooms plus taxes. I have used my vouchers for HRH next year and it is a great saving but if you try to put in more than £250 of Tesco vouchers it doesn't allow you and you can only use one voucher per room unless you do separate bookings I suppose.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List