Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 14 Nov 17, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Birtie
slightly serious Dibber

Tourin' Over California 2017 - Day 13 - San Diego Zoo

25 July

We were off to San Diego zoo today but before we set out we have breakfast in the room of leftover cheesecake from yesterday.

The journey to the zoo was another google maps navigation experience. The exit from I5 was closed so we took the next one and then the navigation kept trying to send us round and back on the I5 to take the same exit again. We ignored it and it's rerouting for long enough until it finally gave us a different route to the zoo.

Once we had got our tickets and were inside we started with the guided bus tour from which we saw quite a few animals

We then walked to see the pandas, seeing a grizzly feeding in some meat on the way.

We saw a female panda asleep at the back of her enclosure and then a young male sat munching away on some bamboo.

We went to see the koalas who were all asleep up different trees and it looked as if they were going to be inactive until one woke up and started climbing.

We got the kangaroo bus and went to see the polar bears. One was being spoon fed through the bars of the enclosure by a keeper.

We queued for the cable cars but then it was announced there was a power outage so we got back on the kangaroo bus to get some food.

The power outage meant all the food places were shut so after buying bottles of water from the shop (in the dark) we ate the apples we had packed, and Megan had shortbread, again which we had packed. We decided to walk the monkey trail, watching the orangutans for a while before going back leaving the zoo to go back the hotel and the pool.

As we hadn't eaten and with Megan wanting a crepe, she found somewhere nearby in her phone to get one. We followed the route on google maps through Balboa Park to 30th Street, where once again we found ourselves in an area of San Diego that seemed to be off the beaten tourist track. We found a Jack in the Box where I went to get some burgers for me and Tracey, while the girls went walking down 30th Street to find the crepe place. I got the burgers and waited in the car for them to return.

After waiting a while I decided to drive down the Steet to find them. It turned out that the crepe place was quite a way down the street and they had just come out when I got here. We sat on the car park outside and ate our food before returning to the hotel.

It was quite cloudy so Tracey sat and read, Megan just went in the hot tub and I braved the chilly pool before joining Megan in the hot tub.

We found out later that evening that the majority of San Diego has been affected by the power cut!

Next decision was where to eat. We had a look on the internet at any local restaurant menus, but in the end used Aims advice on The Dibb to go to Liberty Station and try Corvette Diner. This turned out to be a really good decision. It was a 50s style diner with a really good atmosphere and dancing waiters.

Megan had pasta, Tracey had chicken strips and Caesar salad and I had turkey with mash. Tracey and I both had strawberry fields shakes.

Day 14 here
Birtie's Trip ReportsOct95~QIP,Aug97~HJ Universal Tower/Wedding,Aug03~BWMovieland/BWPlaza,Feb05~BW ML/POR,Aug07~CBR,Aug08~Rosen Plaza/Marriott Suites Clearwater, Aug09~OKW,Xmas10~ASMu, Aug11~POR,Aug12~POR, Aug13~DCL Med,Xmas13~ASMu, Aug14~RPR/POR,Feb15~Shingle Creek,Aug15~SSR/DCL Western/BC,May16~DCL Norway, Dec 16~BCV/RPR/SSR, Aug 17~AKL/DCL/POL,Aug 19~POR/DCL/BRV,Jan 20~SSR/Vero/RCL,Mar 22~ESSS/SSR,Aug 22 Road Trip, Nov 23~ESSS/SSR/DCL Wish/GF

Edited at 09:36 AM.
Birtie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Love the look of that diner!
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow that Diner does look amazing! Thanks for sharing