Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 1 Dec 17, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
fillmore
Trying for More Ears

Day 13 - Leaving Las Vegas...and arrival in Disneyland

I woke up earlier than everyone else so I nipped out for coffee and chocolate croissants from the cafe in the Cosmopolitan. They were expensive but huge. We finished packing and headed downstairs to check out, saying a last goodbye to the amazing view from our window.

It should have been a very easy journey to the interstate but DH kept misinterpreting the sat nav and then it couldn't re-route us again quickly enough before the next misinterpretation happened! We finally made it onto the interstate and headed for the long drive to California. It felt sad that our holiday only had a week left...but we were off to Disneyland!

We stopped by at the World's Tallest Thermometer in Baker. The lady who ran the place was so friendly and we chatted for a bit before heading back on the road.

Our next stop was Barstow for lunch. We decided on Denny's again as we'd enjoyed the breakfast so much in St George. I made a mistake by ordering a selection of starters and didn't really know what I was getting...my lunch was all shades of orange! DH and DS had made much better choices than me.

It was time to head back and after getting lost leaving Barstow (!) our next destination was Anaheim. The traffic approaching the LA suburbs was a big shock to the system. We'd been used to 2 or 3 lanes at most and now we were on 6 lane monsters! Just before we got to Anaheim DH realised we were low on gas so I started having visions of us running out of gas on the interstate. Our exit for our hotel approached...and we sailed past it! I could see the Howard Johnson in the rear view mirror so told DH to take the next available exit which was coming up sharpish. Somehow we managed to make it off the interstate and into the car park without running out of gas. This had been the worst journey so far so I was very glad it was over!

We checked in at the HoJo, walking past the splash park which DS was very excited about. DH was shattered after the slightly stressful drive so stayed in the room whilst we did a laundry run and visited the splash park. This was the main reason I'd booked the HoJo and we were really impressed with it. The only problem with the room were the semi-circular skylights which had no blinds on. I wasn't bothered by that as I wanted early starts for the parks anyway!

After an hour of splashing and laundry we went back to the room to see how DH was. DS changed into his Captain America t-shirt and we were ready to go to Disneyland! None of us had any experience of Disney Parks so I really wasn't sure how we'd all react. I had bought a Southern California City Pass which gives you a 3-day pass at Disney, Legoland California and Sea World in San Diego. Even with not using the Sea World tickets it was still cheaper than buying tickets individually.

We decided to stick to Disneyland today rather than park hopping. For some reason I didn't take many photos - think I was a bit overawed- but here are a few:

Our first destination was Tomorrowland. DS could have spent the whole time here. We rode Buzz Lightyear's Astro blasters whilst we waited for our fastpass for Star Tours. We all loved Star Tours. DH is not a fan of rides at all but he managed this fine. The Star Wars shop was amazing and had so much stuff we could have bought! DS really wanted to go on Autopia so we had a long wait for this (which really wasn't worth it in my opinion!) We then headed over to Toon town for dinner (pizza) before joining the very very long queue to meet Mickey. When it was our turn DS was really starstruck! Mickey was dressed in his Steamboat Willie outfit. Afterwards I asked DS why he'd been so shy and his response was that of course he was shy Mickey is the main man!

We'd had a long day so we walked back to Tomorrowland and caught the very last section of the Electrical Parade. We'd all had a brilliant time and were looking forward to a full day of Disney Magic tomorrow.

Tomorrow: Radiator Springs here we come
Old 3 Dec 17, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
brilliant xxx

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Really enjoyed reading your trip report so far!
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
kinda puts me off driving in the usa
my dream would be a west coast trip - land in San Francisco and then drive

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

great report, the journey from Las Vegas to LA is fun and boring, my DW sleeps most of the way until we reach LA lol. Though I say if you can drive on the LA Freeway and make your way across 6 lanes of traffic to your exit, you can drive anywhere in the world
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List