Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 28 Jan 18, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Whilst it is an extremely serious subject and I also realise that soaps are a distillation of real life I just think they are trying too hard and they are making the programme unwatchable. The humour that Corrie was noted for has gone completely out the window. It's all doom and gloom and that Phelan storyline was just way over the top. Dear goodness, Eastenders is depressing enough and now Corrie is going down the same road. I'm not trying to bury my head in the sand. As I said it is a very, VERY serious subject but after a long day I want some light entertainment, maybe a thriller but I don't need a litany of woe.
I think there's still plenty of amusement - Norris, Mary, Roy, Sean. If you look back through the years there's always been plenty of unpleasant drama, Richard Hillman (nearly as silly as Pat Phelan) Peter's dark drinking, Toyahs rape, Jenny Bradleys dad trying to kill Rita, Nick Tillsley's dad being knifed to death - mmm, I'll shut up now as really showing my age!
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninja
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 142
Didn't they do a male rape a few years back on Hollyoaks?
Also, remember the storylines in Brookside, now they were gritty! Oh I miss Brookside
As for the humour, who couldn't find the 3 Stooges in the lap dancing club funny?!
Ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Didn't they do a male rape a few years back on Hollyoaks?
Also, remember the storylines in Brookside, now they were gritty! Oh I miss Brookside
As for the humour, who couldn't find the 3 Stooges in the lap dancing club funny?!
I actually laughed out loud when they were all in the strip club, I miss Blanche now she was a vicious battle axe but bloody funny
I used to like Brookside too
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

all soaps jumped the shark years ago

to use murders as plot lines so often dosnt reflect real life

brookside was originally the most believable/realistic but even then they started getting more & more ridiculous/unrealistic plots ..

can be doing with any of them
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

At one time or another I've watched them all but now I couldn't tell you the current characters let alone plot lines in any of them and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing. The writing standard has definitely fallen.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
At one time or another I've watched them all but now I couldn't tell you the current characters let alone plot lines in any of them and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing. The writing standard has definitely fallen.
How do you know this if you don't actually watch them?
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
How do you know this if you don't actually watch them?
Well I think that’s it’s easy to see all the storylines, comes up on google, forums like this etc. Not hard to know what a rough idea of the storylines are, don’t have to watch it.
Old 29 Jan 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I have to agree with that.

Someone on digital spy did a brilliant post on Ernest Bishops murder and how it's remembered. Now they are going for constant sensationalism and I can't keep up with the body count.

Putting multiple episodes per night and more times per week dilutes the quality too.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 05:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
It must be 15-20 years ago that Toyah was the victim of rape so it's not like it has not been done before. Why is it more distasteful when the victim is a man? Just choose not to watch if you don't like it - the show makers will change their coverage of such stories if enough viewers walk away, it's not like there is a lack of channels/alternatives these days.
I do choose not to watch it. But I would share the opinion of the OP that it is a shame it has become unwatcheable for me. I am aware of the main storylines over the last couple of years through other media and several do not seem appropriate for a 7.30pm airing. I generally think it sounds like it has become very dark.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 18, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I stopped watching regularly months ago, along with EE i no longer really find them suitable for DD. I used to enjoy watching with my boys years ago, DS used to love it and we used to discuss loads of lifes problems. Although i dont disagree with the stories necessarily i think the timing it goes out is not right.