Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 29 Jan 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Big inversions versus small ones!

Can anyone describe the difference (if there is one) in sensation between big loops and smaller ones? I don't like inversions but can cope with one or two smaller ones on Crush's Coaster and Hyperspace Mountain (both in Paris). I would love to be able to go on The Hulk but I mentioned to DH that I don't think I could because it has, I think, 7 inversions. He said that the big ones are less intense than the smaller ones but I'm not sure I believe him I can imagine that they don't have such an intense feeling of pushing down on your head, which I hate. But then I'm imaging the weightless, 'drop', feeling in your stomach to be worse on the big ones.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
First, Crush's Coaster doesn't have any inversions. It does bank 90 degrees so that the vehicle is on it's side at times, but it never actually goes upside down.

Hyperspace Mountain at Paris has 3 inversions.

TBH, the only differences between the inversions on Hyperspace Mountain and those on, say, Hulk at IOA are:
  • You can see the inversions - and see everything turn upside down - on Hulk whereas you can't on Hyperspace Mountain
  • The inversions tend to last a bit longer on Hulk than on Hyperspace Mountain
  • There are more inversions on Hulk than Hyperspace Mountain

Overall the latter two are relatively minor differences whereas it's the first one that is probably the biggest difference, at least psychologically speaking. Some people don't like being able to see the loops and corkscrews and prefer to go into the ride blind. Many don't even realise that the ride goes upside down because they can't see anything (there are many people that are surprised to find out Rock'n'Rollercoaster goes upside down).

Personally, I find going upside down isn't that intense. The drops, heights and accelerations provide far more intense sensations than the loops do. And (for some reason) I hate going backwards or sideways most of all. Give me 7 loops over a backwards section anytime!

Originally Posted by Tinkjon View Post
I can imagine that they don't have such an intense feeling of pushing down on your head, which I hate. But then I'm imaging the weightless, 'drop', feeling in your stomach to be worse on the big ones.
The forces will be very similar. The centrifrugal forces in the loop have to ensure that you stay in your seat no matter whether it's a small loop or a big one. The drop or speed before a big loop will be more intense - more speed is required to get around a bigger loop - but otherwise the amount of force will be similar. If anything, smaller tighter loops will feel more intense because the experience is much quicker (changes in forces/accelerations occur more quickly).

If you enjoy Hyperspace Mountain then you should be fine on Hulk.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:28 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Here you go

datagenetics/blog/march42014/index.html

Not sure if it helps but it all looks clever lol
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Thanks for the explanations! Nimbus, I always thought there was a corkscrew on Crush but I see you're correct! I had no idea there were 3 inversinos on Hyperspace though, so that makes me feel better - if I can do 3 I can probably do 7! The seeing what's coming of Hulk isn't a problem because I always screw my eyes shut tight during an inversion, even on Hyperspace when it's pitch black
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Tinkjon View Post
Thanks for the explanations! Nimbus, I always thought there was a corkscrew on Crush but I see you're correct! I had no idea there were 3 inversinos on Hyperspace though, so that makes me feel better - if I can do 3 I can probably do 7! The seeing what's coming of Hulk isn't a problem because I always screw my eyes shut tight during an inversion, even on Hyperspace when it's pitch black
I find that whilst I'm on a coaster it throws me around so much that I have no idea how many loops, corkscrews, and the like I've done by the end. It's only by looking at the coaster back on the ground that I can tell what it did.

And with all the spinning and banking that happens on Crush's Coaster, it can feel worse than most corkscrews and loops on bigger coasters.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mysteryjimbo
Imagineer

It's taken a few years of encouragement to get my wife to go on all the coasters at Universal and WDW. She still gets nervous waiting for the first go or two but that's pure anticipation.

Way back I told her its much easier to ride them with your eyes open and she agreed.

I always find the acceleration on coasters to be much more intense than any inversion. The backwards curve on EE is probably my favourite part of any coaster in Orlando due to the force you experience pushing you into your seat.
Old 29 Jan 18, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

The backwards curve on EE is probably my favourite part of any coaster in Orlando...

I was convinced that went upside for years. Still feels like it does to ne
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
UPExodus
Helping Minnie

The loops on the majority of Orlando coasters are never really that intense in my experience, granted I'm a big fan of coasters however. The most intense, having not rode the new Hulk was Manta's first inversion but this was due to the direction it puts you into the loop not the size.

Most of the first drops or in some cases launches will be the most intense thing about the ride.
UPExodus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo View Post
The backwards curve on EE is probably my favourite part of any coaster in Orlando due to the force you experience pushing you into your seat.
And, for me, the backwards curve on EE is probably my least favourite part of any coaster in Orlando, probably for the same reason.

Which just goes to show how people can like/dislike different things.

Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo View Post
I always find the acceleration on coasters to be much more intense than any inversion.
Originally Posted by UPExodus View Post
Most of the first drops or in some cases launches will be the most intense thing about the ride.
I agree with both of the above statements.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 29 Jan 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I totally agree that the rollercoaster which you can see in the queue or from the park are far more intimidating than ones that are either hidden or in the dark. I've been on Kraken with the virtual reality headset and find this much more bearable than without as somehow I feel more comfortable not knowing what is coming. It's a weird sort of feeling when you have the intense lurch in your stomach that always gets me. I tend to have my eyes shut for most rides at universal and this really helps, as I don't have the anticipation so much, at least this way I can ride them. I do have the kids taking the Mickey out of me when we look at the ride photos but it's worth it (sort of).

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List