Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Feb 18, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
I think you're totally right, thats the bit I hate to think of. We had so many hospital trips with Chloe being preemie I really started to hate it. So I think the thought if that is upsetting. He's such an active child too I can't stand to think of him not being. Glad its over quick. Can you stay with them?
You can normally go down to theatre with them, 1x adult only and stay while they have the gas but then have to leave..

My son has also had his tonsils out too at age 5 (8 now)
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 18, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I think you're totally right, thats the bit I hate to think of. We had so many hospital trips with Chloe being preemie I really started to hate it. So I think the thought if that is upsetting. He's such an active child too I can't stand to think of him not being. Glad its over quick. Can you stay with them?
One of us could stay in the pre op room until they were knocked out and then one could go to the recovery room once they had started to come round.
Old 9 Feb 18, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
Pre-school hearing issues are incredibly common. As are pre-school speech issues and also younger sibling not talking as much (as the older ones babbling away!).

Please do not worry. Things are now in motion and an accurate diagnos can be found. As Twinmummy says, he’s still the same little boy today, tomorrow and the day after. X
Thank you. Still my mischievous little side kick. I think thats probably why we've not noticed so much as he's not talking yet and my older child is such a chatterbox she sort of talks for him. One of the worse things is his balance he is always falling on his head. I do worry. That said he always wants to climb stuff and then he falls he's given me too many grey hairs! Hopefully we can get things sorted. Is he ok to fly do you think?
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
You can normally go down to theatre with them, 1x adult only and stay while they have the gas but then have to leave..

My son has also had his tonsils out too at age 5 (8 now)
Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
One of us could stay in the pre op room until they were knocked out and then one could go to the recovery room once they had started to come round.
Thanks both. x
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mobile

Both my boys have glue ear, my eldest quite severely. Rather than grommets, we opted for hearing aids. Our doctor told us that they would only ever fit grommets twice and our family has a bad history with grommets falling out and having to be refitted. With the hearing aids, we can just hand them over when the glue ear clears. Means no issues with swimming or worries about infections. He calls them his spider senses so no issues with him wearing them. He had a speech delay (which was how the glue ear was eventually diagnosed) but now never shuts up! You wouldn’t think it was the same boy!
Old 10 Feb 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dendycat View Post
Both my boys have glue ear, my eldest quite severely. Rather than grommets, we opted for hearing aids. Our doctor told us that they would only ever fit grommets twice and our family has a bad history with grommets falling out and having to be refitted. With the hearing aids, we can just hand them over when the glue ear clears. Means no issues with swimming or worries about infections. He calls them his spider senses so no issues with him wearing them. He had a speech delay (which was how the glue ear was eventually diagnosed) but now never shuts up! You wouldn’t think it was the same boy!
Thank you that's really interesting. Is partial deafness and liquid in ears the same thing then essentially? I think I'm getting a bit muddled with that part. Was your son young when he got the hearing aids? I'm just wondering if he'd be too young for them or if that's something they'd do? Thanks for your reply.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 10 Feb 18, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you! I'm hoping it's the grommets instead. Why was there such a gap between the diagnosis and the grommets? Was the operation straight forward. I can tell he can't hear much as he's always grabbing my face and turning it to him then studying my mouth when I speak. He also responds to hand movements so he will copy you etc but not vocally. And he's always falling over, always! He's proper clumsy. Sorry for all the questions! x

He was 9 weeks premmie. Many many audiology appointments plus I have hearing issues myself...
But we don’t regret the grommets.

Ironically dd also failed hearing test as baby and gets lots of infections but hasn’t had hearing loss like her brother and is now ok!
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you that's really interesting. Is partial deafness and liquid in ears the same thing then essentially? I think I'm getting a bit muddled with that part. Was your son young when he got the hearing aids? I'm just wondering if he'd be too young for them or if that's something they'd do? Thanks for your reply.
My boy also never shuts up now. Speech delay, speech therapy and grommets. He’s now a 13yr old that won’t shhhhhhhhhh!
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mobile

The liquid behind the ear drum and in the tubes causes the deafness in glue ear. At the moment (in my eldest’s Case), they think it is just glue ear but won’t know if there is anything else more longterm until the glue ear clears. My youngest was diagnosed a lot earlier and had hearing aids from about 18 months. He used to have a clip attached to them to make sure they didn’t get lost but the hearing aids themselves never bothered him. We were given the option of grommets or hearing aids when we saw the audiologist.
Old 10 Feb 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Dendycat View Post
The liquid behind the ear drum and in the tubes causes the deafness in glue ear. At the moment (in my eldest’s Case), they think it is just glue ear but won’t know if there is anything else more longterm until the glue ear clears. My youngest was diagnosed a lot earlier and had hearing aids from about 18 months. He used to have a clip attached to them to make sure they didn’t get lost but the hearing aids themselves never bothered him. We were given the option of grommets or hearing aids when we saw the audiologist.
That's really interesting that you were given the option of hearing aids. We weren't given that option, probably because her main problem was infections (she was dealing with the hearing loss as it was mainly one side) but it's certainly worth investigating in the op's position.