Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 10 Feb 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Florida Keys

So we fly into a Key West and have an overnight stay there as we get in late.
I have booked the Holiday inn Marathon for the next 2 nights is this hotel alright? Also is Marathon a good place to stop? If not any other recommendations.
Also can you recommend things to do?
TIA
Old 10 Feb 18, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
kcanderson
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
So we fly into a Key West and have an overnight stay there as we get in late.
I have booked the Holiday inn Marathon for the next 2 nights is this hotel alright? Also is Marathon a good place to stop? If not any other recommendations.
Also can you recommend things to do?
TIA
Hi we have stayed in marathon ,we stayed at cocoplum beach front rentals ,the area was very quiet ,we ate at some lovely/casual waterside
restaurants ,a good base for going up and down the keys , the beach here was not the best but ok , we would fish from the dock opposite ,this was about 7 years ago now though .hth
kcanderson is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
mrtyoung
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We stayed at Holiday Inn in Marathon last year.
It was an ideal location for our sightseeing.
Room was clean and staff were friendly. The is a nice restaurant at the back of the hotel with good happy hour cocktails.
The pool area was quite small and on one day of our trip the pool seemed quite dirty by the end of the afternoon.
Our girls loved watching the iguanas around the pool.
mrtyoung is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kcanderson View Post
Hi we have stayed in marathon ,we stayed at cocoplum beach front rentals ,the area was very quiet ,we ate at some lovely/casual waterside
restaurants ,a good base for going up and down the keys , the beach here was not the best but ok , we would fish from the dock opposite ,this was about 7 years ago now though .hth
What is the best beach
Old 10 Feb 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrtyoung View Post
We stayed at Holiday Inn in Marathon last year.
It was an ideal location for our sightseeing.
Room was clean and staff were friendly. The is a nice restaurant at the back of the hotel with good happy hour cocktails.
The pool area was quite small and on one day of our trip the pool seemed quite dirty by the end of the afternoon.
Our girls loved watching the iguanas around the pool.
Thanks as long as it’s clean and it’s in a good spot. What did you think of the Hyatt (looks to be near the lighthouse?). This is the same price
Bit disappointing about the pool as I would like a bit of pool time
Old 10 Feb 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mrtyoung
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

The Hyatt did look nice!
We spent a morning at the pool and almost had it to ourselves. It was very nice. Our only problem was on the day we arrived in the afternoon and the pool was very busy and it just seemed quite dirty. Probably due to sun cream etc through the day.
Overall we did have a very pleasant stay at the Holiday Inn.
mrtyoung is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Tweety - use the 'search' option above as there's a few Key's threads that'll likely be helpful
Old 10 Feb 18, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Tweety - use the 'search' option above as there's a few Key's threads that'll likely be helpful
I’m doing something wrong as when I search it just brings my threads up
Old 11 Feb 18, 05:04 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
I’m doing something wrong as when I search it just brings my threads up
Hi Tweety - some of the following may give you ideas, have a bit root thro for the good bits ... click HERE - HERE - HERE
Marathon Chamber of Commerce HERE
Marathon visitor information HERE
Marathon vacation planning HERE
Marathon Dolphin Research Centre HERE
Marathon Holiday Inn reviews HERE

There's a myriad of pages on Google. You'll have a smashing time Tweety, the Keys are so laid back, a million miles away from Orlando trappings
Old 11 Feb 18, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

We're flying out of Key West this year, fab little airport, we love it. Accommodation is notoriously expensive in The Keys. We love the Best Western Hibiscus in Key West and have been recommended Ragged Edge Resort in Islamorada with GH Islander currently closed ... Check it out, trip advisor reviews are fab and islamorada's a great base for exploring the Keys. If you're looking for beaches head to the gulf, Keys beaches are really hit and miss.

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List