Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Feb 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

It's a good dollar day!

Keeping an eye on the dollar as we travel next month, and we're at $1.39591 right now (4pm Wednesday) - only a tiny push more to get to $1.4
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I always said that when it gets to $1.40 I would buy mine, but then when it did for some reason I held back. And then it fell massively. Hoping it soon gets back up - will definitely be buying this time!
DisneyStacey is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
murdi
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Keeping an eye on the dollar as we travel next month, and we're at $1.39591 right now (4pm Wednesday) - only a tiny push more to get to $1.4
I can't find that rate anywhere. Where did you find it?
murdi is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

That's the business rate...tourist rate still only $1.36 ish
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

It's the actual exchange rate.

The people advertising down there to the right will currently be doing quite well from those buying dollars from them right now. They should up their rates soon to reflect the exchange rate, but when they do so is up to them. If you're buying thinking of buying anything in dollars soon, might be worth doing so if you have a mastercard as today's settlement rate should be good.

Edited at 05:23 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie boy 57
Imagineer

Geordie boy 57's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Revolut is at 1.3950 at the moment
2018 3 weeks Dibb villa/1 night Clearwater/1 night RPR
2023 Christmas/New Year. Clearwater/Dibb villa/HRH
Geordie boy 57 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I take very little cash and get actual exchange rates on Post Office and Halifax Cards.
So I'll get what it is in July.
It rose to a peak of 1.42 ish a couple of weeks ago.
As I said at the time, normally when it is on a trajectory, it ebbs and flows like a tide. The big rise was a large breaker coming in, it would ebb back out a bit before likely moving up again. That's what is happening.
The problem with currency markets is that it's largely speculative gambling. Yes, they take into account key financial and political data, but it often moves with a pack mentality. I knew a currency trader, real East end barrow boy type and liked a bit of football aggro. Made a lot of money though.
At the moment the rate is working in the opposite direction to the stock market to some extent.
UK inflation is 3% making interest rate rises more likely.
Brexit obviously had some effect but not to the extent that many believe- the strong dollar hammered currencies worldwide.
There's a belief that traders are starting to get tired of Brexit issues, realising it will never be as bad as first made out.
However, anything could happen, and if for example we suddenly say no transition, we are out next year, even I wouldn't bet against the £ taking a bit of a hammering.
However, I feel quite happy hanging on and just spending on my card when I go, as that is 3 cents plus difference straight away, and I reckon there's a good chance it could be high 1.40s maybe even into 1.50s by August.
Total guess work of course, based on my regular daily reading about the currency markets. But if I were sure of this, I'd be currency trading rather than sat where I am now taking a break, reading Dibb.
Old 14 Feb 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Snoobs
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ve just bailed the waiting ship and changed all mine up at 1.36. If I held out it would be my luck the rate would plummet 😂
Old 14 Feb 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs sun
Imagineer

I’m patiently waiting too ! Am wanting to buy park tickets and a night in universal, they were great prices a few weeks ago and I should have got them then !
Fingers crossed that dollar will rise again !
Mrs sun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

$1.39955 at 6.20pm - not that I'm obsessively checking or anything

Edited at 07:28 PM.