Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Feb 18, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

I just take my SPG AMEX with me, and pay for everything on that. It charges 3% but I get 1SPG point per £ which is 3 Marriott points that I usually redeem at about a penny apiece, so I reckon I’m evens on the commission.

But I do keep thinking about these 0% FX commission cards, problem is I’m not sure I travel enough to make it worthwhile, so I stay lazy!

And the market rate is now 1.405. As others have said the money markets are a gamblers paradise, so rates typically ebb and flow as people pile in on a rise and then sell into a different currency to take their profit. After consistently rising so far this year the market makers sold sterling and took their profits but there’s a strong market sentiment both in favour of sterling and against the dollar, meaning bar some unexpected news the market expects the £ to rise pretty consistently against the dollar for at least next few weeks. The next big correction point will I expect be knocking on the $1.50 door, but after a short correction it could rise even further. The problem with predicting currency rates over more than a few weeks is the constant influx of data which effects market sentiment. If American Data unexpectedly and consistently improves and British Data unexpectedly and consistently weakens then the currency market will follow that trend...
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Convent garden FX is 1.39
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Oooo watching with I interest!
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

I bought £1500 dollars on Wednesday as price was dropping, if I had waited til today would have had $26 more
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

It's a gamble, it always is, $26 is not a lot really when you look at the total cost of the holiday, and hey, you're holidaying
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
It's a gamble, it always is, $26 is not a lot really when you look at the total cost of the holiday, and hey, you're holidaying
It's another soft toy for my daughter lol
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Well mastercard rate is currently $1.399 if you want to do a bit of online shopping?

(and assuming you have a Post Office card/Halifax Clarity or similar)
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
VickyJ
Apprentice Imagineer

VickyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Bloody typical, been three times in in last 18 months with rubbish rate and the minute I need to cash out some shares I hold in dollars the rate soars Doh!
Ah well
Poly isles 03-Portofino bay 06-Cypress point 2006-Port Orleans 09-Hard Rock 2010-AKL feb 11-Reunion Grande Jn 11-POR+Cruise Aug 13-OKW Aug 16-SSR Feb 17-S/Springs Aug17-Hyatt Aug17-VC Feb18-AKL Oct 19
I-Creek Jan 20, Vista cay 2022
VickyJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
nsal0101
Excited about Disney

Has anyone ever used No1 currency their rate is coming in at 1.38 but my nearest collection is cash converters? Which I find strange
* Rosen Inn@pointe May 2018...
Just hope they are not the last
nsal0101 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
cmpjdp
Imagineer

We don’t go till next year but still keeping an eye on the rate as very tempted to change up some money if it goes up 😀