Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 Feb 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Kennedy Space Center - what are the must do’s?

Shamefully DH and I have never been to KSC but are making that right this trip.

I’m looking on the App and there is clearly more to do here than we have time for.

We are picking up our car hire at 8am so I expect to be there at 9.30am. I already have our tickets in hand.

We also need to leave around 4ish to get back too WDW for evening plans with the rest of our group.

I understand the first stop is best to be the bus tour which seems to cover Apollo and Saturn and their associated exhibits.

Then of course the Atlantis.

Is the IMAX a must do? I must admit I’m not usually a fan of stuff like that

The Rocket Garden?

Any advice appreciated! Thank you

Edited at 08:39 PM.
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We got there for opening. Looked around rocket farm while waiting for first bus tour to Saturn rocket etc. Watched moon landings etc then had quick lunch under the Saturn rocket. Bus back to Atlantis, good look round there, simulator, space station replica, then went to talk by a real astronaut, had a quick look at astronaut memorial.
Did the imax years ago and it was good but we ran out of time on our most recent trip.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Yes to all the above, definitely rocket garden, bus tour, IMAX, Atlantis exhibit with Challenger and Columbia memorial exhibits, also take time over at the Saturn part to sit on the bleachers overlooking the launch sites, so peaceful! No-one ever seem to go out there. We've been twice now, was there three weeks ago in fact. We only had 5 hrs there so was too rushed, that was after a cruise and we had to go back to the airport :-(. the Falcon Heavy was on the launch pad too so you might see another one.
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

If you cant fit it all in, I would miss the imax out personally. a quick walk around the rocket garden doesn't have to take long, but can be longer if you want. We did Saturn areas, atlantis, rocket garden tour, lunch, imax and a long walk around the shop with our 10yr old between opening and around 4/5pm ish when we went in august.

Have a great time.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

The 2 big ones are the bus tour to the Saturn/Apollo Center, which is where all the moon-related stuff is, and the Atlantis. The moon and shuttle are the main reasons that KSC exists, as opposed to other things from Cape Canaveral next door.
The next group are those where you see real hardware/people: Astronaut Encounter (check the times in the leaflet you pick up on the way in), the early space Heroes and Legends (relatively new near the entrance), plus the current/future NASA stuff(including Mars).
The IMAX is just 2 films - nice to fill in times between other things, but less interesting than real hardware in my view.
The Rocket Garden is something you can't help seeing as you walk past it going in and coming out.
The shop is hardly essential, but the astronaut signs autographs there at some point.
There is a BIG flaw/mistake in your plans - dashing back to WDW. Surely you can manage without Disney for one day - that is for the other days - WDW just doesn't compare!
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Thanks everyone - it seems i’ve judged it just about right! Really appreciate the inputs here!

Ianc - you’rs absolutely right, dashing back to WDW is not ideal, but it’s a necessity on this trip as we are travelling as part of a larger group, some of whom depart the next day, so we’d all like to eat together. Owing to having little ones with us, dinner is unfortunately earlier than DH and I would normally aim for.
The good news is that DH and I are off to NASA in Houston in October and will be there from open til close which means we can take our time. This trip to KSC is really a bonus excursion so i’d rather do what we can in the time constraint than not at all

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
lovemickey
Imagineer

Mobile

The Atlantis exhibit is amazing and not to be missed. We also walked round the memorial area at the back of the park which was very humbling. We went in August on an organised trip and had a similar amount of time there. We missed the imax films but got to do and see everything else. It was one of our favourite days which surprised all of us!
lovemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by NatsyNoo View Post
Thanks everyone - it seems i’ve judged it just about right! Really appreciate the inputs here!

Ianc - you’rs absolutely right, dashing back to WDW is not ideal, but it’s a necessity on this trip as we are travelling as part of a larger group, some of whom depart the next day, so we’d all like to eat together. Owing to having little ones with us, dinner is unfortunately earlier than DH and I would normally aim for.
The good news is that DH and I are off to NASA in Houston in October and will be there from open til close which means we can take our time. This trip to KSC is really a bonus excursion so i’d rather do what we can in the time constraint than not at all
Why don’t you just go a different day so you don’t have to rush?
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List