Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have any savings in the bank?
Yes, a substantial amount e.g. Children's uni/car/future 132 31.81%
Enough to cover an emergency e.g. Boiler or car breakdown 172 41.45%
Not a jot! 111 26.75%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23 Aug 16, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm pants at saving, although I would love to be better! I grew up in the Highlands of Scotland in the middle of no where, and was an only child. My mother never gave me pocket money but if we ever drove the almost 2 hours to the nearest city she would buy me stuff if I wanted it. I've watched my mum see stuff and not buy it, then get home and wish she had so now if I see something I tend to buy now and think about it later...

I own my own home with a mortgage, thankfully, as renting seems so much more expensive these days! My bills are paid each month, but I do have a few credit cards and a large overdraft which I would like to see the back of one day. My husband has banned me from any holidays in 2018 so we can start chucking money into our debts and doing up the house a little... As a PP said, once things are paid off it frees up money to be able to go to Florida, or elsewhere a bit more often, and as my wee girl grows up I would like her to be able to look back and think she had a fun time growing up, not just with Florida, but with her parents not having to say no to something because we had a Credit card to repay instead...

My mum has a savings account for my daughter which she pays £10 a month into. I've got a private pension in work and have had it for 12 years, not that I really understand them but it seemed like a good idea at the time... I've also just applied for a job within the company I work for now with a higher pay rate... If successful it would bring in a bit more each month to pay off things and then save.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 16, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Love this thread - amazing how much we differ in our Lives and thoughts on this subject. We have no debt out with mortgage or cars. I'm afraid I'm all about the memories too. Having said that there's a couple of ways of looking at it for us. I always buy a car ( not lease ) which means I have around £5000 equity sitting in it if I sold. There's my first back up. Secondly we live modestly in terms of ... Don't drink don't smoke and rarely spend crazy amounts on clothes just for the sake of it. Ie hmmm I need a new pair of jeans not I think I'll buy another pair despite having six pairs in my wardrobe scenario. We recently decided to pay extra every month into our mortgage in the hope of cutting it from 13 years down to ten - easy to ditch the extra if required. So we have some money in the bank for emergencies / car / unforeseen things ... But that is it. I want to make memories whilst my kids are younger, book holidays , go abroad two three times a year if work goes well and ultimately if the ... Hit the fan ... We sell up and have more than enough equity to buy another house outright in a different area. So no not much being saved here / every penny extra is against the holiday that I've already booked in advance for. Oops !
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Charles Dickins - Mr Micawbers famous quote

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
Old 4 Sep 16, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post

We're an old school family I think. My parents were older when my sister and I were born after the war and we were always brought up with the idea that if you couldn't afford it you did without, and I suppose to some extent that's how we've carried on in own lives.

We owe nobody nothing, the cards are paid off in full every month. We needed a new car so we bought one on the 31st of August (end of the month, sales quotas to be met, new model coming out in September) saved about $5,000 paid cash.

Only real debt we ever had was a mortgage and we paid that off years ago.

Don't see the need to be wearing Designer duds, I wear clothes that I like and find comfortable, not to have someone name or a silly symbol on me.
Old 4 Sep 16, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread