Notices

View Poll Results: Is it a good idea and would you chose it ?
Yes 150 70.42%
No 48 22.54%
not sure 15 7.04%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20 May 16, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
Good idea or not? would you chose it?
I was reading an article about a school who have decided to extend the day by 20 mins and in return give the kids 2 extra weeks off.1 added to may 1/2 term the other oct 1/2 term they say it will allow parents to benefit from cheaper holidays but I can't see that happening as some schools already have those dates of anyway and it will just extend the dates that holiday companies charge a premium for.
It will however allow parents to take a 2 week break over those periods without having to worry about attendance issue.

I do think its a good idea in someways esp as they are 2 of the best times to visit disney but will it actually increase prices in the long term?

Edit-I believe they are including inset days into the extra weeks rather than having them at random times throughout the year
The private school I work at doesn't finish until 4 and it gives the children the extra week in may and October. If all schools did it then I am sure prices would go up.
Old 20 May 16, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Sadly the holiday companies would just up the prices again. Maybe we could add 20 minutes to each work day and get another 2 weeks off work too!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
PIGLET38
Imagineer

I would really struggle with childcare if they had a further 2 weeks off. I love the idea of extending the Feb and Oct half terms to give more holiday options but not doing it this way. My preference would be that they reduce the summer holiday by 2 weeks and use those 2 weeks to increase the Feb and Oct half terms. 6/7 weeks off in the summer is just too long in my opinion and this would suit me better.

1993 & 1994 Kissimmee*1999 ASM*2000 Lindfields*2006 Pop Century*2010 Windsor Hills, AKL & ASM*2012 Villa Greater Groves*2014 Cabana Bay/Disney Cruise*Apr2016 Villa Whispering Oaks*Aug2016 Highlands Reserve & RPR*Apr2018 CBR*July2018 HR Villa & Anna Maria*AUG2019 HRH*Dec 2022 Regal Oaks*Mar 2023 HR Villa*
PIGLET38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

for childcare this would be a real challenge. like the idea of better value holidays though.
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PIGLET38 View Post
I would really struggle with childcare if they had a further 2 weeks off. I love the idea of extending the Feb and Oct half terms to give more holiday options but not doing it this way. My preference would be that they reduce the summer holiday by 2 weeks and use those 2 weeks to increase the Feb and Oct half terms. 6/7 weeks off in the summer is just too long in my opinion and this would suit me better.
I'd prefer this as well. More bundles of two week breaks so two weeks for half terms and a month in summer.
Old 20 May 16, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would much prefer a shorter summer holiday and then 2 weeks at May half term and 2 weeks at October half term. I think childcare issues would put working parents off extending the school day to make longer half term breaks. It wouldn't solve the problem of high cost holidays during school breaks but it would allow the option of 2 weeks at times other than August, which isn't ideal for every family.
Old 20 May 16, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CreakingStool View Post
Mixed feelings on this. I think a lot of private schools use this option which is why they have more school holidays.

They could accomplish this anyway by reducing the long summer holiday to 4 weeks and add the 2 weeks on at May and October respectively. My council already does this for primary at Spring Bank so my kids have 2 weeks coming up and have 5 weeks in summer.

For me it's more about having more options of when to take a holiday than it is about cheaper holidays (we've always managed to take foreign breaks at reasonable prices with planning and booking DIY). School terms need more 2 week breaks for parents to choose from, with a week you are limited to Sat and Sun flights and a 7 day holiday which isn't always practical. Personally I don't like to take a typical European beach holiday in August as it's too hot, we've been lucky to be able to choose 10 days in May/June but if you don't have that option then you're a bit stuck. April is a bit early, Christmas is late and generally a time to be at home.

Making all the term and half term breaks 2 weeks long and summer shorter makes more sense to me.

In saying goes that, 20 mins more on a school day I would be happy with but no more than 30 mins as I think its too much for younger children although I know others will disagree.
Would be a disaster for us as DH would struggle to get two weeks off during the summer school holidays if they were only 4 weeks long. Ten people at his grade and only two off at a time and they are restricted to certain weeks as they have to have their weekend shift in the middle.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PIGLET38 View Post
I agree with this - covering childcare in the august holidays is a nightmare - I'd personally prefer to see it reduced to 4 weeks, then have an extra week tagged onto the May & October half terms !
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

My school day was 8.45am to 4.00 pm. We had 9 weeks holiday in the summer, there again we never went on holiday and childcare was by the immediate family. Paying for childcare was in the realms of fantasy.
Old 20 May 16, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
If you change school holidays prices will just rise to cover those weeks . I would have thought this idea would cause a lot of childcare issues and expense for working parents . Overall the percentage of children taken out for term time holidays it's quite small , I think that's often forgotten .

I can't imagine why anyone that doesn't go abroad would want kids home for 2 weeks in Feb and 2 in October like I've seen suggested loads of times . Sure it's fine for those that go long haul but for those that holiday in the UK which is the majority it's not much use .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread