Notices

Old 29 Dec 16, 04:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Day 7 American Natural History Museum, Central Park and Roo

Up, showered and breakfasted by 8am! We decided to go to the Natural History Museum this morning. Website said it opened at 10am so we left at 8.45am so we could grab a coffee.

It in fact opened at 9.30am so we went straight in - it was better organised than other places so by 9.40am we were in and had put our coats on the cloakroom ( these places are way too hot! )

There are some interesting things - like this part of a tree trunk from a tree cut down in 1889 when it was 1300 years old!

The oceanic exhibition was interesting - especially the films on sharks.

We watched a film in the planetarium on the big bang. Two members of the party fell asleep. O really enjoyed it though.

We didn't really feel the love for this museum - too many people and badly laid out/signposted.

We left at about 12.45pm.

Onwards to Central Park. I actually managed to navigate to where I wanted to be!

Strawberry Fields was first - there was of course someone there playing "Imagine"

Then down through the park.

Past the zoo!

It was a pleasant walk with a lot of laughs!

Time for lunch. We went down 60th Street on the off chance and came across another deli type place with seating. Two veggie burgers, one ramen soup and s grilled cheese were soon consumed - $35.

As we were not far from the Roosevelt tram, we decided to go there. We passed Dylan's Candy store. F wanted to have a look. It was heaving.

We got the tram over.

It counts as the subway so we could use our subway pass.

Great views of Manhattan.

And a really nice walk down to Four Freedom park. It was nice to walk without the crowds and having to stop for the pedestrian crossings.

I liked the message at the end of the park!

We were flagging so got the tram back and walked back up 60th Street to the subway. Only two stops back. We chilled out for a couple of hours.

We went down to Union Square for dinner at Whole Foods. Salads and soups were the order of the day.

We went onto DWS next to Whole Foods where F found some converse at $29.

Tired out we got back about 9pm.

Numbers for the day:
Steps 20,580 (about 15km)
Subway rides 6

Edited at 01:04 PM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 29 Dec 16 10:47 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another busy but brilliant day

Joan
Old 29 Dec 16, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
How did you find the Roosevelt tram? I've never done it as I'm worried there will be too much motion. Does it sway much or is it quite steady?
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
familyofthree
Apprentice Imagineer

familyofthree's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by jocat View Post
How did you find the Roosevelt tram? I've never done it as I'm worried there will be too much motion. Does it sway much or is it quite steady?
We have done this a few times, you can definitely feel that you are swaying but not too much, it totally depends on the wind. I am not being very helpful sorry
Old 29 Dec 16, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

What a fab day, the city skyline shots you are getting are just stunning.
Old 31 Dec 16, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great day again, love Wholefoods.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 17, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

What a great day, lovely photos of the skyline etc.
We loved central park, we spent nearly a whole afternoon there with a big apple greeter, they are volunteer tour guides, we learnt so much that we would have otherwise missed, was great.
bigapplegreeter/

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 17, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another busy but brilliant day

Joan
Thanks Joan!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
I found it fine - it only swayed as we got off it! I think Roosevelt Island was J's favourite part of NYC!

Originally Posted by familyofthree View Post
We have done this a few times, you can definitely feel that you are swaying but not too much, it totally depends on the wind. I am not being very helpful sorry
It wasn't windy when we went!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
What a fab day, the city skyline shots you are getting are just stunning.
Thanks Jackie - I drive the kids mad with the amount of skyline pictures I take!

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Great day again, love Wholefoods.
Wholefoods is a great place it has to be said!

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
What a great day, lovely photos of the skyline etc.
We loved central park, we spent nearly a whole afternoon there with a big apple greeter, they are volunteer tour guides, we learnt so much that we would have otherwise missed, was great.
bigapplegreeter/
I have heard good things about the BAGs! Central Park is really lovely - even in winter!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Waltdisnae
Getting Excited

Mobile

Very belatedly reading and enjoying your report. I've not heard from Roosevelt island. Looks like a fun way to get there. You've covered a lot of distance. Thanks
Waltdisnae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List