Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Aug 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Hidden mickey
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
Had it happen to us where passenger fell ill but took a while for that to be communicated to the air crew, by which time they’d already removed luggage.

Other thing that does happen more than it should is passengers getting drunk in a security side bar far enough away from the gate that they can’t be located.

Then there was this time when a ‘friend’ (no it definitely wasn’t me) was waiting at the wrong gate in Hong Kong for a BA flight. The flight at this other gate was also going to LHR was Cathay and leaving at the exact same time so I (I mean my friend) assumed it was a codeshare. Sod’s law my correct flight left on time whereas the gate I was at boarded late so by time I realised it was too late. Won’t make that mistake again.
Omg can just imagine doing that
Old 29 Aug 19, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

A colleague allegedly once turned up at the airport to find no record of their booking. After checking, they realised that they were at Gatwick instead of Heathrow...
Old 29 Aug 19, 04:37 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Some travel insurance will cover for missed flights if they was an accident or similar

Luggage will always be removed if a passenger isn't on board
Old 29 Aug 19, 06:10 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Some travel insurance will cover for missed flights if they was an accident or similar

Wasn’t true for me. I had a connecting flight and there were two available, one with an hour layover and one with 2.5.

I was on the latter. When I landed the tour guide informed me that my bags were already here as they were on the earlier connection! This was post 9/11 as well - I was amazed to say the least.

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mel5678
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
Wasn’t true for me. I had a connecting flight and there were two available, one with an hour layover and one with 2.5.

I was on the latter. When I landed the tour guide informed me that my bags were already here as they were on the earlier connection! This was post 9/11 as well - I was amazed to say the least.
Whenever We went to Boston via Newark we would never make our original flight but our luggage always did - and this was definitely after 9/11.
Mel5678 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Flojo224
VIP Dibber

Flojo224's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Some friends of ours going on a stag do missed their flight to Amsterdam from LHR (the grooms in laws) - The flight was called but they decided they still had plenty of time so went shopping into Boots to get some toothpaste

Got to gate just after it closed and had to watch flight take off without them

They then had to pay £660 (between 4), plus taxi between LHR & LGW and got to Amsterdam about 8 hours late

Definitely lesson learned

2000, 2002, 2003/4, 2011 - Villa
2005 - Disneyland Paris
2007 - Disneyland, California
2014 - Cumbrian Lakes Villa
2017 - Orlando Dream Villa, Lindfields
2018 - No Disney Parks trip
2020 - Let’s do all the parks again - the trip that never was 😔
2022 - Miami & The Parks
2024 - Bahama’s Mini Cruise, Universal & lots of Halloween
Flojo224 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by welshmum View Post
I have always wondered what would happen if this situation occurred.

Would it be covered by travel insurance?
Generally unless it’s very basic travel insurance they do cover missed flights but only for complete failure of transport to airport and they require fairly high level of proof- so you’d need to call a breakdown service in this sort of case
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
It wasn't for us either. When we missed the connecting flight from Atlanta to Miami (not our fault), the luggage caught the original flight. It was, however, in a huge cordoned off area of the baggage reclaim with it's own armed guard, and we were called there on the tannoy as soon as we stepped off the plane.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 06:07 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I've had luggage travel to London and we didn't as the flight was overbooked post 9/11 too. I was shocked.

Years ago I was on a Spanish holiday and we met up with a couple who were local to me but I didn't know. We travelled to the airport home with them and a couple of lads from the hotel and went to pick up duty free. It was only as we were taking off I realised I couldn't see them anywhere. The flight attendant insisted no one had got left behind.
Six months later I bumped into them at home, they'd got "distracted" in the bar ... and then had to wait five days to fly home with all four of them in one room as they were all broke !
Usually you are left to wonder so it was nice to hear the end of the story !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
judy22
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughter missed her flight to Larnaca last year - she was sat at the gate of a plane going to Oslo! Luckily there was another flight going out a few hours later so she managed to get on that but at a price! We constantly tease her about it
judy22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List