Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

Home schooling on the computer

Don't know if anyone else feels the same but the expectation from some of these home schooling websites that everyone is computer savvy is really increasing the frustration levels at home. We seem to have problems sometimes sending the work in or even just completing the work! This morning my youngest grandson is working on a site called Seesaw. He's entering the answer to a question and it appears in a box, he then finds it impossible to get rid of the box and move onto the next question. The simple answer would be to move the cursor onto the next question but that would be too easy! Tapping the 'instructions' box brings a response that's as much good as a chocolate soldier in a heat wave! Having emailed the teacher it appears that a lot of the children are having a problem which the teacher can't solve at the moment. Some common sense would be helpful from some of these website designers.
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I think one of the issues is that the level of demand. We (along with a huge chunk of the world) are trying to use Microsoft teams and one note- it's just struggling to keep up. I'm also finding it really frustrating in some aps that what I see as a teacher is not what they see as a student- I'm saying "click on the blue tick" and they haven't got one! (Video calling and screen sharing are really helping with this!)
Old 23 Apr 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
I think one of the issues is that the level of demand. We (along with a huge chunk of the world) are trying to use Microsoft teams and one note- it's just struggling to keep up. I'm also finding it really frustrating in some aps that what I see as a teacher is not what they see as a student- I'm saying "click on the blue tick" and they haven't got one! (Video calling and screen sharing are really helping with this!)
Helen, i very much empathise with your role currently as a teacher but 'video calling', screen sharing? I make my point!
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by prugone View Post
Helen, i very much empathise with your role currently as a teacher but 'video calling', screen sharing? I make my point!
Ha ha, yes I wouldn’t have had a clue 3 weeks ago- had to do a crash course in how to remote teach. Had a video call today with 44 kids at once and shared my screen to show them what work to do.

Tomorrow I’m attempting to play a revision board game with 63 kids!
Old 23 Apr 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

My younger son is also using seesaw, just started this week. I can't offer any help I'm afraid but just wanted to say that I am quite tech savvy and OH is very tech savvy (it's his job!) And we've struggled with a couple of things as well!

And it's worse with my eldest because they are using Google classrooms but not all the teachers can use it properly so we spend an hour or so a couple of times a week just trying to figure out what work he has from all the different teachers 🙄 it's a bit frustrating at the best of times.

Sorry I'm not any help, just wanted to empathise.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We use seesaw at our school but for the most part the children just take photos of work done on paper and then attach that into seesaw. I’m not that familiar with tasks where you type into box’s directly on the app.
Are you using a desktop pc or an iPad / phone ? As the interface will be different depending on the device. Our pupils mostly use iPads. You could try an iPad or even a phone and see if it is easier to use.

If you send me a screenshot of what you are trying to do I can try and help.

I’m an ICT technician so supporting online learning is what I am doing at the moment.

Edited at 10:34 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
My younger son is also using seesaw, just started this week. I can't offer any help I'm afraid but just wanted to say that I am quite tech savvy and OH is very tech savvy (it's his job!) And we've struggled with a couple of things as well!

And it's worse with my eldest because they are using Google classrooms but not all the teachers can use it properly so we spend an hour or so a couple of times a week just trying to figure out what work he has from all the different teachers 🙄 it's a bit frustrating at the best of times.

Sorry I'm not any help, just wanted to empathise.
My biggest tip with google classroom is to use the To do list. Mark anything that is no longer relevant as Done do the To do list just shows the new work that needs to be done.

BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks, I'll take another look tomorrow ☺️
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 20, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My younger daughter's school introduced Seesaw on Tuesday (she's year6), we had no instructions, just a list of work and therefore new to all of her school.

Thankfully I'm tech-savvy, albeit self taught, we've been screen grabbing the worksheets and completing them in paint before uploading them - either that or putting answers on word and converting to PDF. It's a bit long winded but I'm looking at it as a learning experience for younger DD in itself, problem solving, patience and finding a solution/workaround - just one big ICT lesson.

Elder daughter is secondary and had been using show my homework since year 7. It's been changed so work can be submitted online, there was a few teething problems but those have been resolved.

Biggest issue is IT equipment, I'm thankful we have enough IT for DD1, DD2 and myself (WFH) but not everyone does.
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We use seesaw at our school but for the most part the children just take photos of work done on paper and then attach that into seesaw. I’m not that familiar with tasks where you type into box’s directly on the app.
Are you using a desktop pc or an iPad / phone ? As the interface will be different depending on the device. Our pupils mostly use iPads. You could try an iPad or even a phone and see if it is easier to use.

If you send me a screenshot of what you are trying to do I can try and help.

I’m an ICT technician so supporting online learning is what I am doing at the moment.
Sorry it's taken a while to reply but I've had to figure out 'screenshots' and then how to get one onto my post. Easy when you know how but bloomin' frustrating when you don't. Anyhow I hope this is going to work