Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Apr 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I am paying mine off on Friday.
Well all but £500 as I cant be bothered with the admin.
With Barclays all you do is transfer the money into your mortgage account and it reduces.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I have been thinking about this, but although tempting to do given silly low rates at the moment am wondering whether I can get more money via savings.

I want a higher interest savings account to dump it into, gain interest on that and then use it to pay back the mortgage at the minimum rate so I get the most benefit.

Only problem is finding a suitably higher interest account. Anything over .9% should do it.

But I also.want the comfort of knowing it's paid off, which could be priceless 👍

Any other benefits of paying off v saving?
If you can get more in savings, then do that. If you are paying 0.9%, the the Post Office ISA is paying 1.3% (one year). When comparing savings rates just check what tax you will be paying as this can reduce your effective interest rate. But you do get some tax free.

Pension is another option. You get the income tax back straight away.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Just a thought - have you considered where you’re going to keep the deeds?
No , I just thought they would send them to us , should I do something else? xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just a redemption figure and pay it. No need for solicitor.

Can’t beat the feeling 😊
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I am paying mine off on Friday.
Well all but £500 as I cant be bothered with the admin.
With Barclays all you do is transfer the money into your mortgage account and it reduces.
Curious about the all but 500 comment. If you reduce it down to that level what is the benefit of doing this over paying it off fully?

Sorry to hijack OP!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
No , I just thought they would send them to us , should I do something else? xxx
In Scotland so had to go to solicitor to have lien removed from house. Had the deeds for a couple of hours but left them with solicitor for them to keep in safe.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sorry, I don’t know as previous posters say it’s all done digitally now.
I’m sure someone will post better advice. Lol.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you everyone, we were one of the many thousands who had a northern rock together mortgage and when it all went sour got transferred to nram and then landmark and have been in mortgage jail paying ridiculous interest ever since , my husbands work pension has just matured and we have looked into lots of options what to do with it and this is the best saving for us and will give us peace of mind knowing that our home is finally ours , we only have five years to go but our interest on what we pay is appropriately £250 a month so we definitely aren’t going to get that return investing it anywhere ! Well done everyone for getting there and I can’t wait till we can say that it is totally ours ! thank you xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
In Scotland so had to go to solicitor to have lien removed from house. Had the deeds for a couple of hours but left them with solicitor for them to keep in safe.
Oh really ! We are in Scotland too , do you mind me asking if it was expensive? xxx
Old 26 Apr 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thank you everyone, we were one of the many thousands who had a northern rock together mortgage and when it all went sour got transferred to nram and then landmark and have been in mortgage jail paying ridiculous interest ever since , my husbands work pension has just matured and we have looked into lots of options what to do with it and this is the best saving for us and will give us peace of mind knowing that our home is finally ours , we only have five years to go but our interest on what we pay is appropriately £250 a month so we definitely aren’t going to get that return investing it anywhere ! Well done everyone for getting there and I can’t wait till we can say that it is totally ours ! thank you xxx
What a horrible journey you have had. I read about the mortgage prisons on moneysavingexpert. Sounded horrific.

Glad you have found your get out of jail card. 👍
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List