Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 May 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We're ordering Pappa John's pizza for tonight as doing a quiz on Houseparty. Have steaks for tomorrow night and ingredients for fish pie on Sunday if I can get any flour for the sauce by then.

Edited at 12:00 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

It's funny I always have cooked from scratch anyway, but I'm absolutely sick of it now. I think it's because usually I'll think something up on the way home from work and do it. But now I'm in wfh, I'm doing lunches too whereas at work, I rarely get time to eat. Everyone's expectations have gone up too as I'm wfh, thinking i have more time, I don't as I'm still working and it feels more repetitive for some reason.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
For those sick of cooking now a days - what did you normally do?
I was sick of it before as well!

I think for me it's partly the change in lifestyle means that everything is so repetitive and I have too much time to think about it and it just brings it to the front of my mind that I'm fed up with it. And there isn't much option for a change (even if you don't normally do something like order takeaways/eat out, often just knowing that the option is there is enough).

And even though normally I cook most of the time anyway (with a bit of convenience food like chicken kievs, frozen pizza etc some nights) before lockdown I would have gone for coffee/lunch with a friend at least every fortnight, we would have probably had a takeaway once a month, eaten in a local restaurant once a month, eaten lunch or dinner during a day out/activity once a month, had fast food at least once a month (these are all approximate!) and that lot combined just breaks things up.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
We're ordering Pappa John's pizza for tonight as doing a quiz on Houseparty. Have steaks for tomorrow night and ingredients for fish pie on Sunday if I can get any flour for the sauce by then.
Oh so want a papa johns, especially cookie dough pizza. We buy a meal deal for 4 for 6 of us haha alwaus plenty. Think closest to me is leeds! I usually have it every time i go to my caravan up at the borders but obviously we cant go there.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
I’m just a bit bored of eating in. I’m lucky in the sense that my partner can cook and he will usually either cook the whole meal himself or we cook it together, so thats not too bad as it’s something we look forward to doing together. Plus we’ve always cooked from scratch so nothing has changed there.

But we would usually eat out a lot, with me having coeliac I can’t have any takeaways other than McDonald’s fries & burgers without the bun and nandos. So with those two closed we don’t even have the option of a takeaway. Dominos used to do a GF pizza base but they’ve stopped that at the moment because of the virus.

We used to eat out once a week, usually at the weekend and we miss that a lot.

We do like to make good meals though, our faves are our homemade kfc zinger burgers, so nice. We also do a curry night once a week with homemade naan breads, shop bought poppadoms and mango chutney. We also do a homemade calzone that is really good.
Do you make a gluten free naan bread? And if so, would you share the recipe please?
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
Do you make a gluten free naan bread? And if so, would you share the recipe please?
Yeah sure, it’s Becky excell’s recipe. Not sure if I’m allowed to link...but here it is, glutenfreecuppatea/202...-recipe-vegan/

We make our own garlic infused oil for it, not sure if it’s the right way but we just crush up some garlic and mix it in oil, that’s if you want garlic naan anyway, you can always have it plain.

We get so many recipes from her, we use this similar recipe for our pizza bases and calzone too.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Like a few on here I don’t mind cooking but am fed up deciding what to have. Drives me nuts when I ask for requests and they say ‘whatever’. I much prefer it when they say what they fancy then I can see if I have what we need and make that.

I do enjoy cooking mostly but I do miss eating out as we usually do that once a week without the kids. More for the experience than the food though.

For anyone craving a Big Mac try Gizzi Erskines fakeaway. Tastes just like the real deal. She does lots of other restaurant brand favourites too but none I’ve tried yet.

Last night I made Thai salmon fish cakes with chilli stir fried broccoli and peppers on the side. Tonight we are having tacos with spicy mince, salsa, cheese, jalapeños, salad etc. Tomorrow I’m doing slow cooker lamb tagine with couscous, and Sunday will be roast beef and all the trimmings. That’s as far as I’ve planned but Monday will no doubt involve the leftover roast beef as I’m queen of the leftovers me.

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Helen way we were brought up Monday is left overs day in here too probably stems from Monday was big wash day when I was young and it took all flipping day my sister hated Monday tea still won’t eat what was left from Sunday roast on a Monday
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Helen way we were brought up Monday is left overs day in here too probably stems from Monday was big wash day when I was young and it took all flipping day my sister hated Monday tea still won’t eat what was left from Sunday roast on a Monday
Monday is shepherds pie , cottage pie or chicken curry depending what joint we've had. Love Monday dinner.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

This is a family fallback. You can substitute soy for the fish sauce

Easy
Serves

Appears in
Ken Hom Cooks Thai

The basil is the key to this tasty dish. You will need to use a large portion of fresh basil leaves and to let their colour, distinctive aroma and special flavour work to make something very Thai and very special. Easy to make and delicious, this dish is just right with rice or noodles, and a vegetable if you wish.
Ingredients

1½ tablespoons groundnut (peanut) oil
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
3 tablespoons finely sliced shallots
2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
450 g (1 lb) minced pork
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons coconut milk
2 teaspoons sugar
very large handful fresh basil leaves, chopped

Asia
Thailand
Dinner
Gluten-free

Method

Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat until it is hot. Add the oil, and when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic, shallots and curry paste and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the pork and continue to stir-fry for 3 minutes. Then add the fish sauce, coconut milk and sugar and stir-fry for another 3 minutes. Finally add the chopped basil, stir-fry for another minute and serve at once.

Credit to Ken Hom

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.

Edited at 01:58 PM.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List