Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 Sep 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Avis extra charges make sure to check your receipt!

We used avis back in July and because we had a long wait for the car at the airport they gave us return empty as a gesture of goodwill which was written on our rental agreement.

When we got back home I noticed that they had charged us for returning the car empty at the cost of $9.99 per gallon which totalled $258, they also charged us an extra $20 for something else (I still have no idea what this extra $20 was for). The $20 was refunded straight away but I've had no end of problems trying to get the $258 for fuel back from them.

I phoned them again on Thursday after having yet another charge on my credit card for $9, again I've got no idea what this was for (I've already had a charge of $21 for tolls). They eventually offered to refund me half of the total charges as although the paperwork said return empty it didn't mean they wouldn't charge for returning it empty .

After asking to speak to a supervisor they spoke with their executive office who said that I should be reimbursed the total charge (not including the toll charge) so after several weeks of chasing this they've finally refunded me .

I've learnt my lesson now to double check the receipt when returning the vehicle as this could've been sorted at the airport. I did check it but saw the balance due was $0 and thought that was it. It wasn't until I got home that I realised that it was $0 as they had charged it straight to my card.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Scuttler01
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Just hadn’t similar returning on Avis at Cabana bay. I asked for full receipt and then they sorted it on the spot-they had added fuel etc even though I returned full and told them!
Scuttler01 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Scuttler01 View Post
Just hadn’t similar returning on Avis at Cabana bay. I asked for full receipt and then they sorted it on the spot-they had added fuel etc even though I returned full and told them!
I wish I'd noticed before coming home as it would've been so much easier to sort. It's wrong that they're doing this though, I wonder how many people don't notice and pay it?
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
I posted an update today on ,y earlier thread here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1093823
We were even told it was a zero balance, yet they still debited $380 odd!
Oh and I had more luck with Avis via Twitter.

Our magic moment as Grand Marshall's in 2013
WL August 2014 The solo(ish) trip - August 2014
BC August 2016 If it ain't broke, don't fix it - August 2016
Villa 2018 - A change of scene - August 2018
bearandbuzz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by bearandbuzz View Post
I posted an update today on ,y earlier thread here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1093823
We were even told it was a zero balance, yet they still debited $380 odd!
Oh and I had more luck with Avis via Twitter.
I've read your original post but hadn't seen that they'd charged you an extra $380 . Twitter that was going to be my next step but asking to speak to a supervisor seemed to work for me. If that hadn't worked I'd have looked at claiming on section 75 on my credit card but didn't really want to do that.

I've been like you with waiting till I received the payment before believing it, mine also went in today. Pleased you got sorted in the end.
Old 2 Sep 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
wensleydale6
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ve just checked mine and there looks like there’s been a surplus charged to my card of $75. I’d used BA avios, I returned it full of fuel and the only thing I expected to pay was the toll charges.

But no payment has been taken off my card yet

wensleydale6 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Originally Posted by wensleydale6 View Post
I’ve just checked mine and there looks like there’s been a surplus charged to my card of $75. I’d used BA avios, I returned it full of fuel and the only thing I expected to pay was the toll charges.

But no payment has been taken off my card yet

Not sure what you've been charged for, I'd wait and see if they take if from your card. I had all the same charges as you but they also added a refuelling charge on mine. I did notice that your CFC charges are more than mine though, mine totalled $24.50 for 16 days. I also used BA avios to book mine.

Old 2 Sep 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
wensleydale6
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by dizzzy View Post
Not sure what you've been charged for, I'd wait and see if they take if from your card. I had all the same charges as you but they also added a refuelling charge on mine. I did notice that your CFC charges are more than mine though, mine totalled $24.50 for 16 days. I also used BA avios to book mine.

I can’t understand it either, I’ll see when or if they charge me and then take it up, it may just cancel itself out (hopefully)
wensleydale6 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

We had the same at Tampa on Friday. They tried to charge us 9.99 dollars a gallon plus double sat nav charges. It was only because I checked the receipt straight away that I noticed the charges. I went straight to the counter and challenged it. They did sort it out quite rleluctantly at first. My amended invoice came through correct today. They do try it on and try to get away with it.