Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 2 Mar 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Bayous to Beaches. Oct 19. Day 13 Done in Sixty Seconds - Speedy Sightseeing in St Augustine

Sunday 13 October

Yesterday is HERE

We were first awake around 0530 and dozed until 8 which was lovely - it was so sunny and warm - almost too warm for the balcony already .

We were watching the news and it was talking about St Augustine and some events that were taking place so Andy had a moment of inspiration and suggested we head off there today.

We were on our way by 9.45 - while Andy was getting ready I hastily scribbled some notes and did a quick Dibb search for tips on touring !

I also tried to reserve a three wheeled scooter thing for us to scoot round on while we were there but the website wasn’t having any of it
It took just over 30 minutes before we were arriving

And soon at the St Augustine Bike rental place and we rented out a golf cart at $99 plus $10 insurance for 4 hours.

Simple rules - go where cars go, don’t go over any bridges and normal road rules apply

He also gave us a map which was handy.

It was much zippier than expected and there is also very little storage room so I was finding it quite hard to navigate with the map flapping about in the breeze and keep hold of stuff at the same time

Happily we caught up with a trolley tour so managed to tag along for while for the first few buildings

Andy was very happy in his chariot

We took a different route from the trolley and headed out towards the sea front via the cemetery

We passed some beautiful homes on the way

I jumped out at the cemetery to have a look around

I find them such humbling places

Rows and Rows of unknown soldiers - so sad

The we zipped along the sea front

Passing the oldest house

And other places of note

Funky shot of us in the formula 1 golf cart

Andy parked up and waited in the cart while I had a look along the seawall and over to the square

Then we did a couple of circuits looking for somewhere to park

Which included ending up in one way streets with dead ends and no vehicles signs

Finally we got a spot on the sea front and secured the ticket under the window - I took a pic in case it blew away and we got a fine

We had another look around the square

It was all very interesting reading about the history. I would like to go in some of these places to look around - maybe on a week day when its not quite so jam packed

We were starting to get hungry now as it was getting towards mid-day

It was also really busy with it being Columbus Day weekend and lots of places looked packed out so headed away from the main square towards this row of stores

Look what was there ..

We ended up here by accident as it’s at the end of the stores and as it was really quiet, we decided to try it out.

Not fancy but the food was good and the service was friendly

Andy had a burger

I had the mermaid flatbread. This was delicious. A bit spicy but really tasty

The fries were super salty tho. I couldn’t finish them

It was incredibly hot and even more busy when we stepped out so we decided to call it a day. We thought it was a lovely place and we would definitely return as we had barely done it justice. I think maybe we would stay as there lots of lovely restaurants and bars and we quite fancied the distillery too

We took a walk over to the fort

it was another place that was very busy so we just walked round the outside

Then we were back in the golf cart and zipping off again - Andy was loving it

Well look at that "Wiley Hall"

Flagler College is very impressive

We were back at the rental place about 30 minutes before our time was up and everything was fine - look at the pumpkin display

Back at Palm Coast by 2.30 and we headed to the pool

Fighting for a space

Snackage was required

Isn’t that a great mini cooler. Wine, water and coke. 👌

Plus these

Which I can’t recall seeing in the UK. They are delicious!
After a nice couple of hours chatting to a few residents who came down to use the BBQ grill, we got changed and walked over to the European Village - it was a bit earlier this evening so no ninja squirrels or kamikaze cyclists

This time we tried out The Cork and Pint.

This was a really friendly place. It’s more of a rock bar than it looks. The bar tenders and other patrons shared appetisers with us of nachos and wings .

I chose a Chalk Hill rose which was almost red in colour.

Very different and very nice

Then we headed over to the Indian restaurant.

Yep an Indian restaurant.

Never done that before over here

It had got really good reviews from locals

It was packed outside so we opted for inside .

We had the place to ourselves .. as Andy demonstrates by accompanying the Bollywood musical numbers playing with his own Dad dancing

Yes Strictly contenders take note

On to the food.

These arrived while we were looking at the menu. To be honest, bit over cooked

The menu

Andy went for the mixed Tandoor and keema naan

That’s my chapati in the foreground

I had the Chicken Biryani but asked for pot of masala sauce on the side

Well this was all scrummy. Incredible flavours. We had been unsure if it would compare to our favourite Indian at hone but wow this was outstanding.

Even with finding an unexpected egg in the middle of my dish

This meal was delicious and we pretty much ate the lot

Today had been such a lovely day - we had really enjoyed St Augustine but also enjoyed some time to chill out.

Tomorrow is HERE

Today’s cocktail tally: 0 tsk, tsk
Holiday total : 21

Edited at 02:37 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

What a chilled day and an Indian too! I can honestly say I have never had Indian food in Florida, looks scrumptious 😋
Old 2 Mar 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

The golf buggy looks like so much fun. And what glorious weather. Sometimes the unplanned days work out to be the best!

All the food looks delicious!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
What a lot of photos. Such a great day and it seems like you really enjoyed your impromptu trip out to St Augustine. I enjoyed looking at all the photos. The weather looks to be improved on previous days too.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
St Augustine by golf cart is a great idea - you managed to see loads.
Every single report I read about this place, I find more places we missed when we spent two days there
Such a fantastic place to see and is certainly on our list to see again on a future Florida trip

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

That golf buggy looks fun and you had a good tour. I’ve never thought of having Indian food in the US - no good reason why though. Your meal looked nice
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
What a chilled day and an Indian too! I can honestly say I have never had Indian food in Florida, looks scrumptious 😋
It was delicious And a perfect end to a great day

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The golf buggy looks like so much fun. And what glorious weather. Sometimes the unplanned days work out to be the best!

All the food looks delicious!
Totally... we had such fun. It was a glorious day.. just a tad too busy in the tiny streets but overall it was brilliant .

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
What a lot of photos. Such a great day and it seems like you really enjoyed your impromptu trip out to St Augustine. I enjoyed looking at all the photos. The weather looks to be improved on previous days too.
Yes today was a unexpected highlight. Definitely one to go back too. It’s a beautiful place .. very quirky.

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
St Augustine by golf cart is a great idea - you managed to see loads.
Every single report I read about this place, I find more places we missed when we spent two days there
Such a fantastic place to see and is certainly on our list to see again on a future Florida trip
Ha ha, I felt the same, I’ve seen places in other people’s reports we didn’t get to .. plus we didn’t go in anywhere so I feel we missed loads as well!

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
That golf buggy looks fun and you had a good tour. I’ve never thought of having Indian food in the US - no good reason why though. Your meal looked nice
We were a bit sceptical ourselves but it was totally tasty. Andys sold on golf cart and pedi cab touring now. No more walking for him
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Wow you packed a lot into one day! Great idea to hire the buggy. We loved St Augustine and will definitely return

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Great, impromptu visit to St. Augustine. It looks like such a lovely place to visit - very interesting. The golf cart sounds a fab way to get around and you managed to see loads.

Nice Indian meal to finish your day. It all looks delicious, and good value too.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

So is this going to be near your house?
Food looks lovely! Xx

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List