Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 7 Mar 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
We're all going on a Poly-holiday - October 2019: Day 5: Is butter a carb?

Day 5: Is butter a carb?
Thursday 17 October 2019

Index

Snacking around MK, time out at the Arcade, shopping in Disney Springs, visiting the Coca Cola store and dinner at Homecomin'

High five for anyone who got the 'Mean Girls' reference in my title Thankfully I do know that butter isn't a carb, however, we had our fair share of both fat and carbs on this day so it seemed like the perfect title...

Today was a beautiful sunshiny day and we couldn't wait to get to MK for a day of rides and yummy food. We got up early to utilise EMH once again and had a quick breakfast in Capt. Cook's - I think it was a bounty platter or two and some chocolate chip muffins again but I don't appear to have photographic evidence of this...

It wasn't long before we were on the monorail and straight into the park

The park was still nice and quiet, we stopped for a couple of pictures and then over to Fantasyland to ride the carousel

We went a bit pic crazy here but hey! I’ll put them all on

Next, we tried our luck with the sword in the stone…

But alas, today wasn’t our day.

Our first fast pass of the day was Splash Mountain. Izzy and I really fancied a pretzel (well I wanted a jalepeno cream cheese pretzel but Izzy wanted plain… so we got a plain one with cheese dip ) It was pretty good still

Ready to get splashed!

I love how the girls can sit together now, it’s adorable.

Next, we strolled back round to Fantasyland and rode It’s a small world.

On the way back we bumped in to the country bears!

and had a bit of fun in Liberty Square…

It’s a Small World

We had a little mooch around the Tangled area whilst waiting for our next fast pass window - Haunted Mansion.

We spotted all but one hidden Pascal…

Posing next to the world's cutest loos

This hoof print… cute!

We had a good old browse in Memento Mori and agonised for ages about buying these awesome light up ghosts in spirit jars. I loved them and the trouble was I wanted ALL 8 of them not just one or two but they were $59.99 each…. They were also plastic not glass so I think Disney were pushing it a bit with this pricing.

My sensible side won and I decided not to get any… and I’m glad because I see they are $22.49 each on Disneystore now

Time rolled around and we could now get in line for our ride inside the Haunted Mansion (yay!)

We all LOVE this ride, it makes us feel very nostalgic

We stopped for a couple of pictures outside:

It was getting close to lunch time and we wanted to try various things so decided to share some meals so we could try as many different dishes as possible

First up was Colombia Harbour House; it was just before 12 so not very busy at all.

We got the Trio Platter to share - a combination of Fried Shrimp, Breaded Chicken Breast Nuggets and Battered Fish served with Hushpuppies and a choice of Green Beans & Carrots or French Fries. It was really yummy, I especially liked the hush puppies! I mean deep fried batter - what’s not to like?

We also had the Minnie and Mickey whoopee pies which were really nice and a snack credit! (both for one credit)

The next snack on our agenda was back at the Friar’s Nook in Fantasyland, on the way we nipped in to Philharmagic for a sneaky show.

We loved these posters on the way in.

Izzy and I went to Friar’s Nook to grab the loaded tots (a QS credit including a drink) whilst Andy and Immy went to Pinocchio’s Village Haus to get Breadsticks with Marinara and the Tangled eclair both of which were snack credits.

The tots were INCREDIBLE! Oh. my. word….

It was a bowl of creamy, cheesy mac and cheese, a ring of tater tots, a pile of bacon, and dollop of sour cream garnished with spring onions.

I don’t think I could manage an entire portion to myself as it’s just so rich but it was good to share.

The breadsticks were also lovely

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 10:56 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
We all really liked the eclair but it was probably a bit small to split between 4.

The eclair is white chocolate whipped cream Punzie hair, sugar flowers, purple craquelin, and a chocolate frying pan!

Our final fast pass was for 7DMT

We were craving something sweet before we left and hadn’t yet tried the Peter Pan Float before and we just so happened to be right outside!

We all really loved it - super tart and refreshing - lime dole whip with sprite and a little red chocolate feather.

The special edition cone at the time we went was the Arendelle Aqua cone - cotton candy soft serve with sugar crystals and sugar cubes in a blue cone. I have to say it looked very cool but none of us really fancied the flavour combinations so we gave it a miss. I would much rather have tried the Up! cone, lost princess cone, Hei Hei cone or the 2319 cone but sadly none of them were around when we went. There were lots of pale blue sticky puddles on the floor when we were hiding in the shade having our Peter Pan Float. It was s really hot day and I think the cotton candy soft serve just couldn’t hack it!

Walking back through Tomorrowland…

We decided to call it a day and hopped on the monorail to the Contemporary to use the arcade again on our way back to the Poly

A couple of pictures en route

Arcade time!

We nipped back to our room briefly before heading back out to Disney Springs for a browse and dinner at one of our absolute favourite restaurants - Homecomin’

We had a good look round a lot of the shops, we hadn’t really had a proper explore since it was all revamped so it was cool to see everything.

We decided to go in to the Coca Cola store for a browse

And a look in the shop

We made our way up the walkway and popped in to meet the Coca Cola bear as there was hardly any queue.

It was a bit weird how they took photos with their own camera and tried to sell you a package. It was all a bit up-selly I’m not sure why you would pay for one tbh.

We went up a bit further and got a freestyle coke on the rooftop bar. We were going to try the tray full of drinks but I didn’t really understand the menu and from what I was reading it seemed super expensive for essentially the same experience that used to be free in Epcot.

Some lovely views from the top!

I liked this garden area

Next, we walked over to the Ganachery to get some yummy treats to take home.

We liked the look of these skulls

We also loved these chocolate piñatas - a Mickey mummy

And a Maleficent one

It was cool to see the chocolates being made, too.

We selected our treats and off we went

We stopped for a browse around Disney Style. We really liked this store it had some really cool and unique items

I especially liked this Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers shirt but I couldn’t quite persuade Andy to buy it for himself

I also liked this tee

Posing

After browsing a few more stores it was time for our dinner reservation at Homecomin’! We absolutely couldn’t wait to eat here again

On our way

We checked in at the table outside, they asked us if we would like to sit inside, outside or in the covered atrium. We chose inside. We waited on the lounge chairs outside for five mins or so until our table was ready and then were called in.

We perused the menu but really we knew exactly what we wanted already, having meticulously studied the online menu several times before landing in Florida. (as you do!)

Edited at 10:41 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Andy and I had a moonshine margaritas (included on the DDP) and the girls had diet cokes.

We shared the thigh high chicken biscuits between the four of us that we remembered so fondly from the last time we went.

Three biscuits topped with Chef Art's famous fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles. Drizzled with hot honey. It was an appetiser so we paid out of pocket for this.

It was absolutely delicious - in fact I really wish they did this as a main - the hot honey was so yummy with the crispy chicken.

The girls chose the fried chicken tenders (Izzy with mash and vegetables and Immy with mac and cheese and salad with ranch.)

I mean look at the gloss on that mash - I think it may be 70% butter 30% potato!

Andy chose Art’s famous fried chicken - Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, a cheddar drop biscuit and "love"

I had the fried chicken and donuts - Two pieces of Chef Art Smith's famous fried chicken served with house-made sugar doughnuts and creamy mashed potatoes (as you can see - very healthy )

It was all just so so good - the BEST fried chicken we’ve ever had, no question. The only trouble is it’s just too darn filling and we struggled to eat it all… we should’ve probably bypassed the starter but we REALLY wanted it again! (We basically ordered the exact same thing the last time we went there… if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?)

For dessert, the girls had a sugar cinnamon donut with ice cream - we tried a bit and it was really nice.

Andy and I chose to take our desserts (which were included in the DDP) home with us to snack on later.

I chose the Hummingbird cake - The famous pineapple-banana cake with cream cheese frosting from Chef Art’s bestselling cookbook “Back to the Table” served with a seasonal fruit gastrique and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream (but I obviously had it sans ice cream and gastrique)

Andy chose Auntie’s chocolate cake Aunt Evelyn’s luscious chocolate cake garnished with candied pecans… pictures of both to follow in an exciting late night snackisode…

We had a few more stores we wanted to explore before we went home.

The atmosphere in Disney Springs at night is very relaxed and safe.

I really liked this fall themed sign it was even prettier IRL.

Immy plaiting her hair as we walk…

We headed to World of Disney to pick up some souvenirs we had been eyeing up.

We really really didn’t like the new layout - it felt so much smaller than when it was all in separate rooms, we just felt like it was a bit overwhelming - too much all at once.

We did manage to pick up our $200 gift card and a couple of bits we wanted though so that was a bonus.

A pretty fairy light wrapped palm tree at the bus stop

We walked back to the bus stop and decided to call it a night as soon as we got in. Another fabulous day

Edited at 10:58 PM.
Old 7 Mar 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Fantastic day, and gorgeous photos. Thanks for doing your trip reports
Old 7 Mar 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day

Joan
Old 7 Mar 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for sharing another lovely day. All your food photos look delicious. I want fried chicken now!
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 20, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
Fantastic day, and gorgeous photos. Thanks for doing your trip reports
Ahh thank you 😊

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day

Joan
Thanks Joan! 😊

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Thanks for sharing another lovely day. All your food photos look delicious. I want fried chicken now!
Haha sorry! Thank you 😊

Old 8 Mar 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Love those ears!
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 20, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Another fab day! Glad I am not the only one who thinks the changes to world of Disney are not necessarily for the better!
Old 10 Mar 20, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely day!

So glad we got an ADR for Homecomin’ next time 😊

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List