Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Apr 20, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile Anyone painted their kitchen units?

Due to CV our renovation has ground to a halt and funds have been depleted. Therefore my kitchen extension has been put on hold. However it is starting to get to me so I’m thinking of painting the doors as well as the walls, putting down a bit of new vinyl floor and replacing the worktop.
I can be a bit slap dash but as it is I can’t see how much worse I can make it! Any comments? Excuse the mess, ds had unloaded the dishwasher but not put it away!
Old 15 Apr 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Tradesman's opinion - Dont!

I know some will come on here and say they have done it and it looks lovely. I am yet to see one that I would be happy with but I will confess I am the quintessential fusspot.

Perfectly flat doors may turn out ok. The shape of yours will only achieve a half decent finish by spraying professionally and that's big money.

Finally, nothing wrong with those doors. I lay money somebody will post on here that they would willingly swap their kitchen for yours.

The worktops I would replace though.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 03:58 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Tradesman's opinion - Dont!

I know some will come on here and say they have done it and it looks lovely. I am yet to see one that I would be happy with but I will confess I am the quintessential fusspot.

Perfectly flat doors may turn out ok. The shape of yours will only achieve a half decent finish by spraying professionally and that's big money.

Finally, nothing wrong with those doors. I lay money somebody will post on here that they would willingly swap their kitchen for yours.

The worktops I would replace though.
Thank you, any time up to now I am totally with you about painted kitchen doors, no idea why people rave about them especially as they tend to be dearer than wrapped doors. It was just to lighten the room and give me something to do at the moment It is a very solid kitchen, all the units are rock solid!

Dh has just seen me writing this and said that the worktops are also a problem as we don't know what the shelf at the back is hiding/why it is there? He did say we can look at a new bit of floor though and if I sort the walls out he is happy for me to paint them!

Suppose that is 2 bits out of 4 so I shouldn't complain too much
Old 15 Apr 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I have to agree with MRT it will take hours and hours
De greasing the doors rubbing down going over with a tak cloth to remove the dust taking the doors off
Undercoating painting one or 2coats then all,the trim and one drip,in the paint will drive you nuts
Change the worktops and lighten the floor
I must admit the microwave that doesn’t fit the space would drive me nuts I’d be sticking a TV or something up there even if it didn’t work
But that’s my OCD about things like that
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I have to agree with MRT it will take hours and hours
De greasing the doors rubbing down going over with a tak cloth to remove the dust taking the doors off
Undercoating painting one or 2coats then all,the trim and one drip,in the paint will drive you nuts
Change the worktops and lighten the floor
I must admit the microwave that doesn’t fit the space would drive me nuts I’d be sticking a TV or something up there even if it didn’t work
But that’s my OCD about things like that
Tell me about it! Trouble is it is also too high for me and if I lift something out with both hands leaving the door open and dh walks in - well remember the Friends episode with Ross and the tumble drier door? But the cupboards are set too low to put the micro on the worktop Same with the wine rack, if you look closely 3-4 of the openings have a slider on so think they used to have little drawers there or something. I have to take a very deep breath sometimes when I go in there and remember the kitchen I left behind
Old 15 Apr 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Know exactly how you feel had to do the same when we bought this house but yours is way way better than mine was believe me
I’m sure you will find temporary fix till you can extend
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

I did it more than ten years ago in my old house. Can't remember how long it took but it took some time as I think we had to clean, sand and undercoat the doors as well as paint them. But we did along with hubby putting in new work tops, new door handles and removing a load of the fiddly bits of trim and stuff. Now, it transformed the kitchen for very little money from something ghastly (think dark, dark wood, loads of fiddly bits, very very dated and dark).

I'm sure it didn't look professional but the original kitchen was so bad it was worth the risk and it did allow us to sell the house not long after.

However, I wouldn't risk it my current kitchen even though I hate it. I'd be too worried it would end up worse than it is now. So, in short, it depends on how easy you'd find it to live with if you made it worse...
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Apple2014
Earning My Ears

Yes I have painted my kitchen cupboards. Used Frenchic paint and extremely happy with the results. Have a look on the Frenchic fan forum on face book.
Apple2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Flossiemay
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I’ve done it before when it was all we could afford and it did make a huge difference to how I felt about the kitchen. The funny thing was that after it was finished several friends said how nice it looked and then confessed that they’d expected it to look awful! I’m glad they didn’t tell me before as it may have put me off.
Flossiemay is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

I'd just get a new pale flooring for now and a new lampshade.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List