Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Oct 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

Working cocker spaniel advice / forums

My DS is considering getting a working cocker spaniel have done lots of research just wondered if anyone knows of any good forums for these kind of dogs or ideally does any one else own one Thankyou
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I’m on a Facebook group called We Love English Cocker Spaniels, and there’s lots of owners of both show and working cockers on there. It’s a really friendly group.
Old 3 Oct 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Had a working cocker that I used to work to the gun.
Fantastic working dog ,however wouldn't say greatest family pet we have ever had.
Typically of breed incredibly possessive prone to wandering when off lead and follow scents of game.
However as my dog was breed ,trained to be a worker and used weekly as a worker unsurprising I guess.
As all working breeds you must spend alot of time on training exercise etc as that is breed requirements.
Cannot add forums as pre widespread use of tinterweb.
If son has time and inclination working breeds are fantastic dogs and extremely clever with plenty of training.
Hope he enjoys whatever breed he chooses.
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
clanmacbeath
Imagineer

clanmacbeath's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

We have a working cocker, Bailey who has just turned 9. He is a brilliant family pet. He still has endless energy though! Bailey needs lots of long walks and we have to take him to different places to keep him stimulated. We have 2 other dogs and they all keep each other and us entertained!
clanmacbeath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Our working cocker spaniel is 10yrs old. Brilliant family pet, so laid back in her later years. She is quite happy being left and spends her day asleep or in the garden chasing birds.We have a dog flap in the back door so she has access day and night to the garden
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Always had cockers but have switched breed now as couldn’t cope with the energy levels now I’m older
Suitable for you if you are very active
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

We have a 7 year old working cocker, she is our 3rd one, and she is a fantastic pet.
She loves long walks but also loves just snuggling up with us, she is such a loving dog 🥰

Old 3 Oct 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Does your DS actually intend to 'work' the dog? If not I would suggest getting just a spaniel as if breed for working the dog will have a lot of energy to use for a working purpose and if not put to use in a working environment or way you could be opening yourselves up to problems when the dog gets frustrated. Beautiful dogs but like Springers are hard work if they get bored.
Just make sure whatever you get you go to a good breeder of what ever breed and make sure you get written vet confirmation of all necessary health tests required & results of such on your dog before you buy.
Old 3 Oct 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I have a cockerpoo.
He is from a mixed colour working cocker spaniel
I had another from a solid working cocker spaniel
He was mental

Personally Id never get a solid colour WCS as they can have the mad gene
Old 3 Oct 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Cockersonline is a good forum for owners.
We have a show cocker. He is active outside , loves his ball and sniffing out treats etc.
Also happy slouching around the house.
What about suggesting a show type . They still need a fair bit of excercise but less than workers.

Edited at 06:53 PM.
scottishmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List