Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 4 May 14, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYALI
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I've always found the customs officers to be very "laid back" and generous in reducing the amount as much as poss. You just tell them the total you've spent, DONT deduct the £390 limit, they do that.
Tell them if any one single item costs more than the limit and offer them the receipt. You are liable for VAT and duty on the whole amount of such items, can't offset your limit sadly.

While I'm at Orlando airport before boarding I sit in the bar with a large gin & tonic and tot up my receipts. I make 4 sub totals - adult clothes, children's clothes, cosmetics etc and "other", jotted down on a page ripped out of my note book, very informal ! (Someone once told me these 4 groups are taxed differently, how true I don't know !).

The customs officer goes through these 4 totals, I offer the receipts but they never want them. They ask if I've bought cigarettes and alcohol but have never asked to open my cases. They do their calculations (on a scrap of paper and a calculator !) & tell you how much is due. They take credit cards !

Last Nov I declared just under £1,000 including the allowance but no single item over the limit, and paid £80 in VAT/duty. They use a good exchange rate so the sterling equiv of what you've spent works out a bit cheaper.

I find it informal and not at all scarey.

hope this makes sense !

Linda xx
Thank you so much for a very helpful and informative post, makes things much clearer and less to stress about.
DISNEYALI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 14, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Thats annoying that irelands limits are less, I'm assuming the fact that we travel back to northern ireland wont matter haha
Mind you I doubt I will have the spare cash to meet the limits, let alone exceed them!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 14, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by simpsonfan View Post
Thats annoying that irelands limits are less, I'm assuming the fact that we travel back to northern ireland wont matter haha
Mind you I doubt I will have the spare cash to meet the limits, let alone exceed them!
oh blimey I thought the limit was the same all over the EU. Perhaps countries can set lower limits but not higher ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 14, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

It's set by the EU and applies to all members sadly ! I think it was Gordon Brown who tried to increase the UK limit to £1,000 but failed.
Yeah I think I remember hearing something about that!

Well at least £390 is still better than what it used to be (think was under £200)!
Old 5 May 14, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lauz
Imagineer

I've always found the customs officers to be very "laid back" and generous in reducing the amount as much as poss. You just tell them the total you've spent, DONT deduct the £390 limit, they do that.
Tell them if any one single item costs more than the limit and offer them the receipt. You are liable for VAT and duty on the whole amount of such items, can't offset your limit sadly.

While I'm at Orlando airport before boarding I sit in the bar with a large gin & tonic and tot up my receipts. I make 4 sub totals - adult clothes, children's clothes, cosmetics etc and "other", jotted down on a page ripped out of my note book, very informal ! (Someone once told me these 4 groups are taxed differently, how true I don't know !).

The customs officer goes through these 4 totals, I offer the receipts but they never want them. They ask if I've bought cigarettes and alcohol but have never asked to open my cases. They do their calculations (on a scrap of paper and a calculator !) & tell you how much is due. They take credit cards !

Last Nov I declared just under £1,000 including the allowance but no single item over the limit, and paid £80 in VAT/duty. They use a good exchange rate so the sterling equiv of what you've spent works out a bit cheaper.

I find it informal and not at all scarey.

hope this makes sense !

Linda xx
That makes it all seems a lot less scary, thanks Linda! Thinking of buying my wedding ring in Orlando when i go, but it will obviously be over the limit, so not sure if it will be worth it, will have to see how much cheaper rings are over there and do my sums!
lauz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 14, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread