Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 23 Jan 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Gulf Coast - Red tide & poor reviews

Hi

Sorry, slightly new to posting threads. Hope this is in the correct place.

We're going back to Orlando again in June/July this year, with our last visit being 2017. We wanted to go to the Gulf coast for a few days this time, but have been put off by some of the reviews.

We were looking at anywhere between Clearwater to Siesta Key and have been reading about the red tide, the flesh eating bacteria, the drunken kids on the beach, the deterioration over the last few years. So we're really disappointed.

Is it really that bad? As I see that people are still going there. If it is that bad, would you recommend any other beach area, even if it is on the East coast?

Many thanks

Ally
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

At this time there are no traces of algae anywhere around Clearwater, St Pete's etc. This could change of course by the summer but I don't think you should be put off by anything. Some of the nicest beaches you can find anywhere are along the west coast.

Edit just to add, Clearwater can get very busy of course but it is a massive beach area. I have never had any problems with youths drinking etc and I've been during Spring Break. Id probably avoid it personally just due to the traffic problems there as there are miles and miles of perfect beaches all around there.

You could always book a refundable hotel and cancel nearer the time if there is any kind of outbreak again. Then just switch to the East coast.

Edited at 12:16 PM.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Red tide is something that comes up to a greater or lesser degree on a more frequent basis but nobody can tell you when. It affected us for a while two years ago but not last year. I've never seen drunken youths on any beach ever. Most beaches that I visit tend to have local by-laws that prohibit this and plenty of people around who will immediately report antisocial behaviour. We tend to visit Caspersen Beach a lot to look for shark teeth.
Old 23 Jan 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Hank
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have been lucky enough to have been going to the Gulf Coast for about 15 years in May /June and July. Only once in that time, which was some 10 years ago has there been Red Tide which was on Boca Grande Island and lasted for less than a week. The following website will help anybody looking to visit the Beach on the Gulf Coast

visitbeaches this is run by the Mote People and when you click beaches, this site is updated 10 am and 3 pm (Florida Time) every day”.

I have never seen drunken youths or heard about it in our area. Clearwater could be different especially at Spring break.

Hank

Edited at 02:01 PM.
Hank is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Red Tide was awful in August 2018. I don't suffer from Asthma but I really struggled with the smell/gasses at Anna Maria Island. As soon as we got anywhere near the beach we were coughing!
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Have a look at Anna Maria Island, it is a bit further, but stunning and very quiet, especially the north of the island. There are no large hotels etc there, just condos and small 10-20 apartment type rentals.

We stayed at the one below before and will again. It ain't luxury, but it is decent enough, nice staff and most importantly a fantastic location.

sunrisegardenresort/
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We're concerned about spending a lot of money & then the red tide spoiling it all...my daughter is wanting to study marine biology and so she would like to go on a dolphin tour, see the manatees etc... so is AMI or CWater better for that? Although we're not keen on CWater now due to the traffic etc...

We're going to New York first, then the Gulf coast possibly... then onto Orlando, so we wanted a chill time before going onto Orlando. But don't want to get ill at the Gulf if the red tide is there, as my son already suffers with asthma...

I know we could book somewhere and then cancel nearer the time and rebook elsewhere if needs be, but we risk there not being anything available at short notice and I just want to get everything booked and just enjoy the countdown.

Too many decisions...
AllyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

We just got back from AMI on Monday - it's our favourite coastal place in the USA; we've been many, many times since 1999.
I can assure you we have never encountered drunken behaviour on the beach. There is also a zero noise policy after 9pm.
There are loads of charter boats to take you out to see the dolphins and they don't cost a fortune.
We have stayed at the Beach Resort apartments twice in the past 12 months: castnetters/ Our only wish is that we'd found it years ago.
The owners are fabulous, the apartments are beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and have every amenity you could possibly need and their prices are really reasonable.
Take a look at the website - and check them out on TripAdvisor and Airbnb.

Edited at 03:01 PM.
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Thank you for the accommodation recommendations, they look lovely, but I'm afraid they're all booked for our dates...
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
AllyD
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
Red tide is something that comes up to a greater or lesser degree on a more frequent basis but nobody can tell you when. It affected us for a while two years ago but not last year. I've never seen drunken youths on any beach ever. Most beaches that I visit tend to have local by-laws that prohibit this and plenty of people around who will immediately report antisocial behaviour. We tend to visit Caspersen Beach a lot to look for shark teeth.
Collecting shark teeth is what we would like to do too, hence thinking of staying at Siesta key so that we're not too far away...