Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jul 19, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

After prom parties - update

For those past & present prom parents, have you allowed your child to go to a ‘after prom’ party ? Or actually held one yourself?
My daughter and her friends, 12 in total are going back to one of their houses.
6 of them have dance the day after so I can’t see them performing very well lol
They all want to have a couple of drinks, they are the nerdy, clever bunch so not into the whole party & drinking lol good job really with my daughter being diabetic.
However, speaking to a few other parents and other peers from her year there are huge, all night parties happening all over. One girls parents are decking out the summer house and filling it with booze for the kids, lights and music system! The mum was telling me how her daughter is so grown up and so popular, all her friends love going to her house to party and have a wild time 😱😱 then how much she had spent on drink & party food etc
Some kids are taking spirits (not the ghost type) vaping stuff etc
Is this the norm? Do 16 year old just go and get drunk?
How does this effect the parents (home owner) where the children are drinking?
What about neighbours!
My word, things have changed since I was a teenager.
What are your thoughts and experiences?

Edited at 07:59 AM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

After prom was the thing I was most worried about!
Whilst not ‘popular’ I would say she gets on well with her year group. As prom was On a week night, after prom was difficult due to most parents working the next day!
However the dad of one of the boys in her year has an office block which was unused, and they all went there. Dd loved it, she said there were rooms for dancing, chilling x-box, wii etc
She had a great time and was picked up at 5:30am with her friends. Luckily her friends mum who was picking up put them all Ona group chat and they were threatened with being picked up straight away if they didn’t answer the text!
Old 5 Jul 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Our opinion for ours (2 so far 2 girls have had proms) was to either have the party at our house or at a parents house we knew.

We allowed them to drink because we trusted the environment. Not everyone will agree with that but it was our choice.
Old 5 Jul 19, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

Our DD recently went to a prom after party. She was home fairly early at 2:30am compared to a lot of her friends who were going home around 5/6. We didn’t have a problem with her having a few drinks. She was at a friends house and her friends mum was there.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Unfortunately, yes I think drinking is the norm!
DD15 went to a party the other week, she doesn't drink and normally avoids parties because people are drinking! She enjoyed but phoned us to pick her up at 10pm as she had had enough !
One of her friends was in bed all day the next day with a hangover!
Not sure what she will want to do next year after her prom, who knows, she may be the one getting hungover by then! I'm happy for her to have a drink so long as I'm not clearing up after her!
When I think about it, I started drinking when I went to 6th Form college so not much older than 16!
I certainly won't be holding any after prom parties at my house though!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Here they always hold the prom on a Wednesday and the kids are expected to attend school the next day, so after prom parties are minimal and it is the "usual suspects" who attend them.

Most of the kids have a great prom, go home (then get lathered at the weekend..)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

i didnt know after prom was a thing (im old enough for prom not to be a thing except in amerian movies..) until my god daughter mentioned it earlier this year

they all went back to her house and had an all nighter in the gazebo/garden with fire pit music etc etc. the house is quite remote & i assume the neighbours were pre warned, its only one night a year

imo pretty naive to expect them not to drink* / get up to allsorts of tomfoolery

we are 2 years from prom but can't say im looking forward to it...

* think back to when you were 16...

Edited at 08:11 AM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Here they always hold the prom on a Wednesday and the kids are expected to attend school the next day, so after prom parties are minimal and it is the "usual suspects" who attend them.

Most of the kids have a great prom, go home (then get lathered at the weekend..)
are proms not after GCSE so they kids have left school?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Wait until they suggest they need another outfit for the after prom!

My two youngest went to after prom and there was drink available one arrived home around 2am and the other on his about 5ish.

Re OP a 'wild time' means different things to different people but it does seem a strange way for a parent to describe parties at their house and quite frankly I would only buy alcohol for my child and not loads for others as I don't know what other parents policy is on it.

Edited at 08:55 AM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

The issue is parents who have shielded their kids never allowed thrm to breathe drink etc.
My husband is european over there kids drink diluted alcohol from a young age and they dont have thr issues with binge drinking we do in UK.
My kids have never seen alcohol as taboo and have a v balanced attitude...
And im not saying they didnt get drunk but they didnt need their stomach s pumped or do stupid stuff.
1 prom party was at alarge house of friends.
No 2 prom party was a paddock (horses field) that had been turned into glastonbury with fairy lights and tentsand a pile of food to cook on firepit.
No 3 was last night and a houseparty.
Waiting to see if she comes come waith a hangover lmao
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List