Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Apr 14, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
I'm not 100% sure but believe you will have to declare in Manchester.

If you have any alcohol make sure you transfer that to your suitcase as you won't be able to take it onto the domestic flight.
I don't bring booze back so that's easily solved I'm not sure if there's a definitive answer to the customs issue, as if I was connecting within the UK I would have to declare at Manchester but the Isle of Man is entirely separate from the UK so it's a bit of an oddity. This is all fairly academic as I won't have much cash for shopping but I can't find a 100% answer and it's got me curious - maybe I'll ring the local customs office and ask, they'll think I'm a right loser
Old 28 Apr 14, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sonic_heroes
Apprentice Imagineer

sonic_heroes's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Don't know the answer to this one as presume that your cases would be checked through to Isle of Man so you wouldn't have them at Manchester.
Would you not be "in transit" so not go through customs at Manchester but only go through on exit at Isle of Man airport?
Can't remember if you go through customs with a domestic transfer, sorry!
Interesting to know the answer as well now with Isle of Man's tax free rules?!?
DLP Oct 2007. Marriott World Centre Drive/PO Riverside Oct 2009. POR Oct 2011. SSR/Sheraton Vistana/ASS July 2013. Pop Cent Oct 2014. ASM May 2015. Davenport Villas July 2015. ASS, Liki Tiki Village, T Ridge July 2016. Marriott SeaWorld, OKW, Hampton lakes Villa, June 2019.All star Music Dec 2019
sonic_heroes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 14, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sonic_heroes View Post
Don't know the answer to this one as presume that your cases would be checked through to Isle of Man so you wouldn't have them at Manchester.
Would you not be "in transit" so not go through customs at Manchester but only go through on exit at Isle of Man airport?
Can't remember if you go through customs with a domestic transfer, sorry!
Interesting to know the answer as well now with Isle of Man's tax free rules?!?
We have to change airlines so we can't do a check right through, we have to collect our bags at Manchester.

I'd be interested to know about the Isle of Man's tax free rules, cos I don't know anything about them, I strongly suspect they're mythical. You might be thinking of the Channel Islands, which don't have VAT.
Old 28 Apr 14, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Decks09
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks xx
Decks09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 14, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

We have always gone out with 4 empty suitcases, each with an empty suitcase inside, even when Virgin allowed you 2 suitcases each. We have brought home 8 full to the brim suitcases each and every time, the last 2 times most have been opened by TSA (found letters inside when we unpacked) only been stopped once through customs, they took a quick look through the suitcases and didn't blink an eye at the clothes and gifts brought back.
When you think of all the thousands of people flying everyday I cannot believe they would track person just because they only took one suitcase with them, they may have implied it on a TV show but I am sure they stopped the person for other indicators of illegality.
We just make sure we have enough left on cards to cover any duty they may charge if we are stopped. Even if we do have to pay duty its still a bargain for what we buy, most of which we cannot buy over here anyway.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 14, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

We have been going to Orlando for a number of years, I just tried totting up how many but lost count at 19! Anyway, in all those years we have never been stopped, searched or had our baggage checked until our last visit last year. I was pulled to one side and searched and they looked in my hand luggage. When we got home one of our suitcases had an official ticket in it telling us they had searched our suitcase and giving us all the information with regards to what we could and couldn't bring back. Neither of us smoke so never bring cigarettes back, neither of us drink (I know very boring ) so we never bring alcohol back. I can't wear perfume because I have allergies to a lot of things so just don't risk wearing it. We have no children, so have no presents to bring back either. All we had bought was 2 pears of jeans for DH and I had a Coach bag, and that was it. We couldn't understand why they had bothered to search until I realised that I had a box in the offending suitcase with all our 'chemist' in. My DH has to have two tablets per day so I had those in there, I have to take inhalers, anti inflammatories and Vitamin D tablets and we decided that is why, they must have seen them on the scanner and thought we were smuggling drugs This year I will put them all in my hand luggage so that if they need to check I will be there and can show them the official prescriptions.
Old 29 Apr 14, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
They didn't - 'Original Poster' is their Dibb name!
I know that - but they went to the effort of opening the thread to read it and posted. If they didn't like why not just ignore it.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 14, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I know that - but they went to the effort of opening the thread to read it and posted. If they didn't like why not just ignore it.
Ah I see now what you meant!
Old 29 Apr 14, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

I have been to Florida around 15/16 times over the years, I have bought most of my tshirts etc over there & take them back on holiday plus buy more. How on earth am I supposed to prove What year I bought them let alone produce a receipt for them all.. It's crazy to even suggest it.. I'll take my chances on that I think 😎👍🍀
Libby29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 14, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Libby29 View Post
I have been to Florida around 15/16 times over the years, I have bought most of my tshirts etc over there & take them back on holiday plus buy more. How on earth am I supposed to prove What year I bought them let alone produce a receipt for them all.. It's crazy to even suggest it.. I'll take my chances on that I think 😎👍🍀
I think they can tell what looks new and what doesn't. People read too much into this. They aren't after the couple of T shirts or jeans you are over the duty free limit they are more likely to be looking for excessive cigarettes or booze or top price electronics. Where there is an item that you can't prove origin (and again I ain't talking clothing) they have the power to sieze - no argument! Don't forget - to tell where an electronic item came from they only have to look at the serial number.

Edited at 07:44 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread