Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Jan 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinq
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We had awful Wifi. We built an extension and could never get any WiFi in it and poor in the old part of the house, we tried an extender but it didn’t work very well but then invested in the Deco Tp-link easy to install with an app can add as many as you need, we bought a pack of 3 which is more than enough for us. We have had no issues since.
Cinq is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Powerline extender will be the most simple answer if all on the same main fuse box in the house.

At the router end you have one which plugs into the socket and has a cable running to the router. At the other end you have a wifi extender plug which you put into the socket. Tiny bit of configuring for the wifi name and you are done.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Powerline TP link from Argos work well for us
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

Our router is in our living room and often we don’t get a signal in our bedroom directly above it never mind the rest of the house plus when DS is home from Uni just forget about using it at all unless we have the TP-Link tech stuff plugged in. It doesn’t matter who provides our internet either even the mobile phones lose signal where we are and our internet provider wanted us to share our band width .. with the rest of the street .. well no thanks . Tp- Link is the only thing that helps us out.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I would not recommend wireless extenders.

I would prefer to get the job done right and get a wireless Mesh.

I had a Tenda Nova MW6- it is pretty good for the money (keep meaning to sell it) and certainly much better than the router with extenders.

However, I am a real power user, so recently upgraded to the biggest Netgear Orbi RBK 53 which is 3x + the price of the Tenda Nova (at over 400 in total it was I think- the Nova is about £120 ) but is the best on the market. I now get the full 500 mbps on my desktop- in the back room plugged into a satellite with my router in the lounge, and probably about 200 on my decking, and 350 in my kitchen. This is a reading on 500 mbps Virgin cable- my desktop is plugged into the Orbi Satellite which is wirelessly connecting to main Orbi which is plugged into the router in another room- awesome. If I instead connected wirelessly to the satellite it is about 450. The Orbi have a very high frequency backhaul.

A mesh network will substitute your router signal and blanket your house with the new signal, seamlessly switching between whichever node is giving out the strongest signal. The best ones like this Orbi have a separate channel, (so three channels total) the third being a high frequency so very 'clean' communicating between each other, whilst the cheaper ones (Tenda and many others which as i say are still good) will use one of the two channels they use for the wifi (the 5ghz one) to your device to communicate to each other.

A wifi extender simply takes your current router's signal and tries to amplify it again. Totally different and nowhere near as good, and you often have to log onto it separately rather than it being seamless.
If you are going the extender route, Powerline as suggested is the best way. Before getting this Mesh I had my desktop connected to the router via Powerline, but could not get anything like as consistent a speed and stability (modern house as well) with drop offs and ping issues.

Have you run speedtests around your house. You may find the 'good' wifif is actually quite slow compared to what it should be when you are in different rooms- this is what a Mesh will speed up all over.

But depends how much you want to spend! A Powerline and decent booster will be about £60 so a decent mesh like the MW6 will be around twice, and something like my Orbi 8x the price.

Edited at 01:14 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I think we will Go down the Power line way. I checked out the various ideas suggested & the PL sounds best for us. I am ridding myself of my desktop tower (running Win XP) in favour of just running my new Laptop thru my monitor & getting a new wifi printer to ride myself of all the cables running in the area too. The bungalow is 1970's & for some reason very few wall sockets which also needs to be taken into consideration. Thanks everyone for the input.

YT your idea sounds great but more than I actually need (or understand to be honest) but I'm sure will be of interest to others looking for a better upgrade than I think we need at present.
Old 29 Jan 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Look for a powerline device that also has a pass through socket on it. That way you do not loose a socket.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Look for a powerline device that also has a pass through socket on it. That way you do not loose a socket.
Oh is there such a thing, that would be good.